Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Turning 55

I read of a bumper sticker today that said, "I'm speeding because I have to get there before I forget where I'm going."

And then another one:  ""Growing old is mandatory.  Growing up is optional."  As I said in a previous blog, I have thought about the whole "maturity thing," but, "nah, it's overrated".

Today, I am 55 years old.

Wow.  55. 

I'm having a difficult time wrapping my mind around it.

I don't feel 55 (most days).  I feel 25 with 30 years experience.

Other days I feel 85 with no experience at all.

I guess I can get discounted coffee at McDonalds now.

More and more people are calling me "sir" when I am out and about.

I used to say that I just wanted to get old enough to where people would listen to me.  I am now older, and still people don't listen to me.

Listen to these comments about growing older:

What kind of underpants does a 55 year old wear.  "Well, Depends, I guess."

(Now that's bad, very bad).

What is the most common remark made by 55 year olds when they enter an antique store?  "I remember these."

You know you are over the hill when you and your teeth don't sleep together (fortunately mine do).

55 isn't old if you are a tree.  Unfortunately though, I am not a tree.

There are a lot of advantages in being 55 - just ask any 80 year old!

55 is not the end of the world, but you can see it from there.

Here is what I am learning:  to enjoy each season of life. 

Each season of life has its ups and downs, its pluses and minuses.

So why not rejoice!

No comments: