Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Praying through

One of the expressions that I have heard in my Christian faith is "praying through".

When you walk through a difficult time - you "pray through".

When you are sick and the medicine can't help - you "pray through"

When you are faced with a difficult decision and don't know which way to turn -  you "pray through"

When you are walking through a difficult season with someone relationally, and nothing you do or say can seemingly help - you "pray through"

"Praying through" is when I go to the Lord and begin a non-stop, off and on conversation about the challenge or difficulty I am facing - until the answer comes.

David said in Psalms 42:4, "These things I remember and I pour out my soul within me.  For I used to go along with the throng and lead them in procession to the house of God.  With the voice of joy and thanksgiving, a multitude keeping festival." 

"I pour out my soul."

"Praying through" is "pouring out my soul" to God - until an answer comes.

How do you do that?

Four steps:

First of all, be honest with God.  Admit that what you are walking through is difficult and beyond your capability to either comprehend or come up with a solution.

God knows us better than we know ourselves.  Why not be honest and forthright?

Secondly, express your feelings about your hurts to God.  "God, this hurts!"  Don't deny your feelings or rationalize them or point the blame at someone else.  David, in the Psalms, did this continually.

Thirdly, mediate for a new meaning from your old hurts.  Many times, God will not immediately change our situation, but he will and can change the way we LOOK at a situation. 

Finally, Praise God for the new meaning he gives you.  Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 2:9, "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him."

Have a conversation with God today - and don't let up until the answer comes.


No comments: