Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Robins and God's care

When I am sitting at my desk at the church, there is not much that can distract me. 

One of my strengths is focus.  I can go for hours working on sermon - almost without looking up (to exaggerate just a little).

I say that because the past few days I have noticed (from time to time) a Robin outside my office window.

As I look up from my computer, the Robin sits there and looks in.

Finally, today, I stood up and looked out and saw that right outside my office window is a nest with a beautiful turquoise egg inside.

"Mom" Robin comes every so often to check on the egg and then takes off, I assume to get food and/or water.

Her care is constant. 

David writes in Psalms 91:4, "He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge."

Under his wings.

Like a mother Robin, God shelters us in a time of a storm.

Here's what I know:

If a mother Robin becomes aware of a predator, she doesn't schedule a seminar, plan a self-help class, or start handing out C.D.'s.  She lifts her wings and, within seconds, all the baby chicks disappear underneath them.

I read a story today, found in a National Geographic issue several years ago:

"After a forest fire in Yellowstone National Park, forest rangers began their trek up a mountain to assess the inferno's damage.

One ranger found a bird literally petrified in ashes, perched statuesquely on the ground at the base of a tree. Somewhat sickened by the sight, he knocked over the bird with a stick. When he struck it, three chicks scurried from under their dead mother's wings. "

The loving mother, keenly aware of impending disaster, had carried her offspring to the base of the tree and had gathered it under her wings, instinctively knowing that the toxic smoke would rise.

She could have flown to safety but had refused to abandon her babies.

When the blaze had arrived and the heat had singed her small body, the mother had remained steadfast. Because she had been willing to die, so those under the cover of her wings would live."

Today, God delights in spreading His protective wings and enfolding His frightened, weary, beaten-down, worn-out children. 

"Hide here for a time," He says.  "Get out of the danger.  Regroup.  Recuperate.  Find new strength."

Now, to carry this one step further, the time will come when God will gently lift His wings and urge his children (you and me) to venture back out into their world (I am going to be watching for the Robin's egg to hatch and the little chick to appear in the next few days), but we will do so a little calmer, a little stronger and a little bit more secure.

I encourage you today to consider trusting Christ and hiding under His wings.  Hang out with God for a time and let him explain in greater detail His plan for your life - knowing that you are in a safe and secure place.

Just a thought for a Tuesday.


No comments: