Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Where does power come from?

We Pentecostal types talk a lot about the power of God - and rightfully so.

But let's not forget where that power comes from.

It doesn't come from styles or preferences - or "certain ways of doing church."

It doesn't come from how I dress.

It doesn't come from a certain denomination.

Spiritual power comes from God.

Psalms 62:11 tells us, "God has spoken once, twice I have heard this:  that power belongs to God."

I love that verse.

Power belongs to God.

So if we have power, spiritual power, it comes from God.

God is the source of power.

In John 19:10,11, Pilate is talking to Jesus about power.  Pilate doesn't seem to realize where his power comes from.

The Bible tells us:

"Then Pilate said to Him, "Are you not speaking to me?  Do you not know that I have power to crucify you, and power to release you?" 

Jesus answered, "You could have no power at all against me unless it had been given you from above."

This is actually funny, Pilate is talking to God and says, "Don't you realize that I have power over you?"

Now that is what you call "missing the boat."

But Jesus straighten him out when he said, "You could have no power at all against me unless it had been given you from above."

Jesus let Pilate know that all power and all authority comes from above - from God himself.

I say often, "Jesus is in me, Jesus has all authority, therefore I have all authority (and power)."  That authority and power comes from Jesus in me.

My encouragement to you?

Get your eyes off of people, preferences and positions and get your eyes on God - and receive His power today.

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: