Total Pageviews

Monday, November 20, 2006

Priorities

Have you ever longed for something only to realize that what you were longing for really didn't matter that much?

Think about that for a moment.

We long for a great Thanksgiving and Christmas (Christmas tree, turkey, ham, all the fixin's) - only to realize that it's friends and family that make a great Christmas and our relationships with them.

We long for success, only to realize that in the long run it's signficance that matters. Who am I influencing for good? What relationship am I in this day that I can encourage and deepen?

The Bible tells us in Proverbs 15:17, "Better a meal of vergetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred."

And then in Proverbs 17:1, "Better a dry crust with peace and quite than ahouse full of feasting, with strife."

Good relationship are so important.

This past weekend was an example of that for me.

Christie and Becky came down to see George's play.

My favorite moments? Moments that are meaningful for me?

Talking with Becky for about 10 minutes in the kitchen about her life and what's going on at Michigan State and then taking her out to the Red Lobster for her birthday with her mom.

Taking a walk with Christie and hearing about Grand Rapids and what's going on there, and then having a dinner with her and Debbie Saturday evening.

Watching George's musical on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Seeing the joy that he brought into people's lives as he performed.

Being continually reinforced by Debbie of how much she loves me.

The cost of a dinner at Red Lobster? Around 35 dollars.

The cost of a meal at hom with Christie? Probably around 15 dollars.

The cost of the musical for three night? Around 30 dollars.

The cost of being with my family and knowing that they love me and I love them? Priceless.

And for that I am thankful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great words George.
When I was younger I was sometimes amazed at how excited my parents became when I would go to visit them. They would plan and prepare for days to try and make my visit with them totally marvelous. They seemed to live for those visits that were far and few between (especially when I lived in Europe).
Now that my kids are leaving my home I find myself doing the same thing. Trying to make sure they have a great time when they come home.
Everybody needs a place like that...where they feel special, loved and cared for.
When all is said and done family, friends and our relationship with Christ is what matters.
I love my biological family and my church family very much.

Jon said...

Hey, I saw that play on Saturday afternoon. It was good and George was very good as the Tin Man! Jakob ran the sound board and other tech stuff behind the scenes and really wanted us to come to one of the shows. With everything going on in our lives, we weren't sure we could make it but it really made a difference for him (and me) when I saw the look on his face when he saw us in line waiting to get in. He didn't think we were going to make it either. The pleasure that radiated from him made my day.

I have a coffee cup (yes, I know I don't drink coffee but) that has this saying on it: "It doesn't matter what how big my house is, what kind of car I drive, or how much money that I have in the bank. What matters is that I touched the life of a child." That's been one of the few secular sayings that have stuck with me throughout the years. I want to have an impact on my family, and on my friends, and on my brothers and sisters in Christ, and to all others whom I come in contact with.

When all is said and done, all plans laid and gone to waste, the relationships in our lives are what sustain us and fulfill us. Our relationship with the Triune God (God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit) is what creates us, prescribes us, drives us, provides for us, and ultimately, dies for us to ensure that our relationship lasts throughout eternity. What a great family to belong to for all of time...and beyond time.

It's truly a blessing to find the place that God has prepared for you, the place where He has provided a church family for you, and a place where you can impact others toward the greatest relationship ever created or imagined...that with God.

Love God, love people. Cherish your time with both. Create memories to last a lifetime; create a lifetime to last an eternity.

God bless

Jon