Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Prayer

Years ago a friend of mine by the name of Jay Littlefield was reading a book by Catholic theologian Hans Kung called "On Being A Christian." It is 709 pages long.

What's ironic is that it does not include a chapter, or even an index entry, on the subject of prayer. Hans Kung later said that he regretted the oversight; he was so stressed about meeting his publisher's deadline that he simply forgot about it.

I don't see how such an omission could be made, but I can think of something even worse: the omission of prayer in our daily lives. We get busy, we get stressed, and we overlook the most important aspect — and certainly the greatest privilege — in the life of a follower of God.

When it comes to prayer, there are two important directives from Scripture to remember: Pray about everything (Philippians 4:6) and Pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17).

Don't let pressure, stress, deadlines, or frustration keep you from praying. As these things increase, increase your prayers. How things turn out is in God's hands, as always, but we have one guarantee: "If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand." (Philippians 4:7 NLT)

As you read this, why not have a conversation with God...right now...this moment....

3 comments:

Teresa O. said...

I think as stress and work increase it is often easier to go to prayer. We know we need help and we know God is there to help. However, I have to come to the realization that every day brings different challenges, with decisions to make, people to interact with. Without prayer I am more selfish, quick tempered, and to be honest about it, just stupid. I have to realize I am nothing without Christ and in order to operate more effectively in every aspect of my life, I need God and the only way for God to help me is through prayer. I wish I could say I seek Him diligently every single day, but I know I fail miserably at this. What a privilege I have given up and who knows what other blessings I’ve missed when I simply don’t take time to pray. I also know I can pray throughout the day, which many times is “without ceasing,” but I know I need more than my minute prayers in order to continually be focused on God and know I’m operating in obedience to Him, not my own will and selfish desires. Each day, year, I try to get more disciplined at this, but again, discipline only comes from knowing Jesus better and more intimately.

I will say though when we pray for others there is a responsibility of following through when we say “I’ll pray for you.” It helps take the focus off me and actually makes me more accountable to go to my knees. I love knowing others are praying for me and I hope I can provide the same assurance they provide me. We need each other in the body of Christ and what better thing to do for those in need, but to pray.

Jon said...

I sit here at my desk in tears, having read two weeks worth of blogs just this afternoon. Two weeks away from hearing the heart and mind of my friends and my pastor as a recent illness and the busyness of my life have consumed my time. If I didn't live the two scriptures quoted by George, then I fear my prayer life would have suffered as well. I know my time in the Word has.

Pray about everything and pray unceasingly. All things can be handled by our Almighty Father. He promises that...I rely on that. I know that my life is not my own, it is His...it is getting others to understand that fact that is sometimes draining. I am not ashamed to tell you all I need a time of refreshing and your support as I struggle with things in my professional and personal life. I am overwhelmed and undone in my own will. I am weak in heart, my strength fails me today. But I trust in God that He will uphold me, that He will succor me and provide me comfort, that He will allow me a ravine to hide in and a tree to rest under until I am refreshed to take up His will for my life again.

My friends, I love you all dearly and thank you for being the people that God has created you to be. Your words, even when not commented upon, mean much to me. I pray God's strength and wisdom upon you as you lead us in the vision that God has given to us.

Keep the faith. Love God, love people.

Jon

Beth said...

jon - we are praying for you today. I know that most often we and others come to you for prayer for us, and I often look to you for that stronghold. Just know we are also there for you. I was glad to hear at the service Sunday that pastor also has a mentor to look to. Too often leaders have no one to go to. I'm glad that this church is different and it seems there is always someone available all the time. We love you! We love our church!