Total Pageviews

Monday, November 13, 2006

My father's love

The one thing that I deeply appreciate about God as my Father is that He always loves me. He can never love me any more or less than he does right now.

When I am really burning on all cylinders and my walk with Him is strong, He loves me.

When I am disobedient My Father still loves me.

In fact, I have learned in life that those who need God's love the most are those who feel the most unloved and are the most in need of love. And God never fails to reach out to them.

The father in the story of the prodigal son show this. He runs out to welcome his son, with a hug and some kisses. He then offers the disobedient one the best robe, the ring, and the sandals. Finally he throws a party.

Wow. The love of God. Unconditional. Always there. Always willing. Always perfect.

We judge, we throw out opinions like we do so much bathwater, but God is there. Loving us. Caring for us. Never leaving us.

Father, help us to love as you love us. Forgive us for our judgmentalism and critical spirit. Let us express your love to those around us this day. Amen.

2 comments:

Teresa O. said...

It’s so funny because this past weekend I was pondering the prodigal son and so often I attribute this story to living a wayward life, far away from the Lord. The Lord was showing me in some areas of my life I have been lax and I am no different then the prodigal son. I too need to ensure I’m spending time with Him and longing to be in his presence, desire Him daily, and not get so busy and sidetracked from the things of this world. I need to continually “run” to Him because he is always present and always loving. I am unable to continually express the love of God to others when I am in many ways running away from God in my busy life, instead of running to Him. I pray each day I can run to Him because one, He is always there and two, because I am desperately hopeless without him. I don't want to be a "prodigal" - running in many different directions, but towards Him.

Jon said...

I've spent a lot of time lately in Joel 2:12-14 (and corporately through verse 17) getting my heart headed back to where it is supposed to be. I have said recently how worn and empty I have felt, struggling every day to make it through. God took me to Joel when I was going through this time and showed me that it wasn't the outside world weighing me down, it was the inside of me. God wants us to live a holy, sinless life; He knows we're not perfect but He wants us to try. When we fail, we need to come back to Him, crying and in remorse, for forgiveness. And like the father of the prodigal son, He will raise us up, clothe us in fine garments, and feast with us in celebration. God is good all the time, All the Time God is Good.

Love God, love people.

Jon