Total Pageviews

Monday, November 27, 2006

Miracles

Back in the early 1980's there was a movement call the "Vineyard" churches. Their founder was a man by the name of John Wimber. John Wimber had a profound influence ironically enough, on the evangelical community concerning the subject of miracles and healing.

We as Pentecostals gave it a passing nod, but didn't pay it much attention.

His whole emphasis, that through signs and wonders, people are not only ministered to, but secular people are attracted to the gospel and connect with God.

I really believe that he was on to something there.

Wouldn't it be great to see people actually healed in our times together! And wouldn't it further be great to hear stories of miracles!

One time Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer - it was about three in the afternoon. A man who was crippled form birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts.

Peter and John come along, and he asks them for money.

Peter says, "Sliver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the names of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk."

Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up and instantly the man's feet and ankles became strong.

He jumped to his feet and began to walk.

Somehow I can't see Peter wearing a white suit and having a how great thou art mood music song in the background.

I think Peter said this in a very normal tone of voice - almost matter of fact.

I think miracles were happening so fast in the early church that there was no need for mood music or sensationalism.

That's what I am talking about. And that was what Vineyard churches at the beginning of their movement were all about.

Healings and miracles should be a normal happenstance in our every day lives. In order for that to happen, let's don't go to the extreme of doing certain emotional and physical gyrations or weird stuff. God's power doesn't have to be weird!

God can move within the context of our everyday, normal lives. A simple prayer of faith will work wonders!

May you come across someone today with whom you can pray for a miracle. And may that miracle be granted.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I'm looking forward to next Sunday's service, George. I really feel that God will move powerfully among the people who come and believe. Faith plays a great part in healing, though I don't hold with the folks who say that people don't get healed because they don't have enough faith. Jesus only asks for the faith of a mustard seed. So, it cannot be the faith of the sick that holds healing back. We are told to step out in faith and ask for what we want...that brings the issue back to us as those doing the praying. There are times that I feel God moving in my life and in my words and in my hands. There are times that I don't feel all of that but I trust (have faith) that just because I don't feel it doesn't make it not so.
Faith, God's Faith, can move mountains. We just have to trust in God our Father, Jehovah rafa (sp?), God the Healer.

I look forward with anticipation to the wonders and miracles that God will bring on Sunday.

Everyone should come and see!

Love God and love people.

Jon