Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Last words

"If you were going to die soon and had only one phone call you could make, who would you call and what would you say? And why are you waiting?"

In the movie "Love Actually", Hugh Grant's character makes the observation, "When the planes hit the twin towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge. They were all messages of love."

Many of us spend too much time thinking of things we'd like to say -- how we would like to tell so-and-so what we really think about him/her and how he/she needs to get his/her life in order.

Or we think of things we wished we'd said -- we always think of a snappy comeback about a month after the occasion to use it has passed, don't we? But that doesn't prevent us from rehearsing it, just in case we get another chance.

Instead, we should be thinking of things we ought to say -- such as "I love you," "I thank God for you," "You're special to me," "You make a difference in my life," "I appreciate you."

The first chapter of Philippians gives us a good example to follow. Paul says, "Every time I think of you, I gives thanks to God for you." "I always pray for you and I make my requests with a heart full of joy." "It is right that I should feel as I do about all of you, for you have a very special place in my heart."

More than likely, today isn't your last day on planet earth. But don't use that as an excuse to put off saying that most important thing to one who needs to hear it.

By the way, you're looking good today!

1 comment:

Jon said...

Your mother always told you (at least mine did) to say nothing if you couldn't say something nice. That does not control our thought life, however. We, as Christians, need to look for the good in all that we see. Not that we should be blind to the bad...we need to address it as we can...but that each and every thing that happens has a positive in it if we just look. Every cloud has a silver lining, you know. Some would put that down as being overly optimistic but it is how we are called to look upon the world.

How many of you grieve at funerals of people you know to be true Christians? And for whom? Do not grieve for s/he who is in heaven for their life is bliss for all eternity. Grieve instead for those who do not know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior for their eternity will be torment and pain. I used to get in trouble at funerals (okay, sometimes I still do) because I would be the kid telling jokes and laughing about something that the deceased had done. Not that I wasn't going to miss them in my life but I was focused on the good times and seeing them again some day.

I want everyone to make it to heaven. God does too! For those who don't believe in God, or who deny Him, I grieve for you today. God loves you and wants to spend eternity with you. Please open your heart so that you can spend eternity with us.

God is love...He's the only love that some will ever know but He is sufficient to the task.

Love God, love people.

Jon