Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Friendship with God

God is my friend.

Now there's an incredible statement. God is my friend.

We think of God as many things, but to me - He is my friend.

Flight 93 (I think it was 93) was the plane that went down on 911 in Pennsylvania. A report of what happened on the flight went like this:

"Passengers aboard the hijacked airplanes began to comprehend the likely termination of their flights. They would not survive. Several reached for their cell phones and quietly dialed their loved ones. If no one answered, they left recorded messages with their final words: "I love you."

The passengers could have said:

"Be kind to the neighbors."

"Cast my absentee ballot."

"don't forget the house payment."

But they focused on personal relationships.

They summed it all up by saying, "I love you."

That was crisis will do in our lives. It clarifies what is really important from the non-important.

That's the way God looks at His relationship with you and I. To God, His relationship with us is more important than anything else.

Wow!

Think of it!

God invites us to come to him not only as servants and as children, but also as his friends!

Here's what I know: We make friends with God much as we make friends with other people.

We share common interest, values, spend time together, talk, listen, share experiences, have fun, eat together, share emotions, love, trust, are willing to sacrifice for one another and forgive each other.

Jesus said, "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called your friends." John 15:15

My prayer today is that I develop my friendship with God.

2 comments:

Jon said...

I always think about God giving everything to be my friend. There's a parable that Jesus tells of how a man found a treasure in a field, went home and sold all he had to buy that piece of land so he could have the treasure. That's sold out...and that's what Jesus did for us! He sold His life to be there when we need him; He sacrificed His Godhood to suffer for His friends; He submitted to the will of His Father so that we all could be washed clean of the sins of this world. Have you ever had a friend that would give up so much to just be with you? I've had friends spend their time with me, I've had friends who have chosen our friendship over their current love interest, I've had friends who have been willing to get in a fight for me but I've never had a friend like Jesus. He's always with me, He's always willing to put me first, He's always willing to sacrifice His life for me...has there ever been a friend so true. I so much love Him and want to spend time with Him...and I want to follow the example that He laid out for me. Love God with all my heart, my mind, my strength, and my spirit...and love my neighbors the same way. Love God, Love People...have I said lately how much I LOVE OUR CHURCH MISSION STATEMENT!!!!

On Sunday can we sing "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" in the 9am service? How true that hymn truly is!!

Get giddy with the Love of God!!

Jon

Teresa O. said...

I am truly in awe to think that God calls me his friend. I do not use that word lightly. The word friend means to me to trust; someone you know well. God truly knows me like no other. His desire to talk to me, teach me, be patient with me is mind-boggling.

I am so thankful for His constant love and continued friendship with me. There are so many who have not yet discovered a friendship with God that is direct and personal. It takes time to nurture friendships into something beautiful. It is no different with God. Take the time to listen and talk to him just like you would if you were sitting across the table with someone. What better friend is there than Jesus himself.