Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Crying out to God

I was asked yesterday to blog today about part of my message last Sunday on "crying out to God."

Many times we find ourselves in a position or place where things are snowballing in a downward manner.  Everything is going wrong.  As Captain Ed Murphy said (Murphy's law), "If it can go wrong, it will."

When those times come - it seems like all we can do is to cry out to God.

David says in Psalms 142:2,3, "I bring God all my complaints, I tell Him all my troubles.  When I'm ready to give up, He knows what I should do."

The thing I like about God is that he lets us complain until we are out of words.

God does not interrupt us as we pour our hearts out to God.

God is not shocked when you complain, when you say, "God I think my job stinks!"

"My marriage is horrible."  "I can't take all this stress"!

God is listening. 

"God, I don't like the fact that I am sick all the time!"

The Psalms are full of David's complaints.

David gets mad at his enemies in the Bible and would say things to God like, "Knocked their teeth out, God!  Bash their babies against he wall."  (Doesn't sound too spiritual to me).

God was letting David get it off of his chest.

There's a spiritual catharsis in that, a spiritual cleansing.

I would suggest to you today that in the midst of that difficult time, you cry out to God.

Peter writes, "Cast all your cares on Him, because He cares for you."  (1 Peter 5:7).

Peter says to take all of those cares and those burdens and dump them on the Lord.

Cast all your cares on God.  "Here, God, I can't handle it."

God says, "I already knew that!"

There is power in crying out to God.

Psalms 116:1 tells us, "I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy."

David found out time and time again in his life that when he cried out to God with deep and sincere emotion - God heard him. 

One more verse today from Psalms 30:2, "O Lord my God, I called to you for help and you healed me."

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: