Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

intimidation

Throughout my years of ministry, I have met (and continue to meet) people who have either tried to intimidate me (in church life) or have intimidated me.

I remember a 4 foot 10 inch woman in a previous church that we pastored that scared me to death.

Intimidation has nothing to do with how large or small someone is, or how young or how old.   (Read the story of how the mighty prophet Elijah was threatened by the woman Jezebel.)

It has everything to do with a spirit that can overtake someone - a spirit of fear and intimidation that they use either intentionally or unintentionally.

Some of the characteristics of someone who walks in this spirit are:  Pride.  Presumption.  Pushiness.  Inability to admit wrong.  Insubordination.  Rebellion.  Sowing seeds of discord.  Hate.  Distortion.  Using people to accomplish their agenda.  Withholding information.  Withholding names.  Sequestering information (they seem to know everything about everyone).  Criticizes everyone.  Ignores people.  Spiritualizes everything.  Vengeful.  Uses the element of surprise.  Blindsides.  Gift giving (making you feel you are obligated to them)

The dictionary defines intimidation as:  to render timid; to inspire fear; to discourage; or, suppress by threatening.

Being that part of the culture in Chicago is a culture of fear and intimidation, that can easily roll over into the church.

How does intimidation come about?

Through word curses.  Word curses are something spoken over you by someone.  A parent can speak word curses over their children.  "You'll never amount to anything."  "You're no good."  "I wish you had never been born."

An employee can speak word curses over his boss or co-workers.  "They are a jerk."  "They don't know what to do."

A church member can speak word curses over the leadership of the church.  "A lot of people are saying."  "No one likes you."  "You are doing a crummy job."

On and on it goes.

Through your own perception of yourself.

You think if not say, "I'm no good."  "I am a crummy excuse for a Christian."  "I'm no good at my job."  "Everyone hates me."

Through being threatened

Here's what I know on this point.  When I give in to the threats and intimidating statements and actions of those around me - I surrender my God-given authority.

I lose the ability to use my spiritual giftings.  They will like dormant or even be taken away.  If I give in to fear and intimidation, God will send someone else to do what He is calling to be done.

I encourage you today:  don't give in to the spirit of fear and intimidation!

Know who you are in Jesus Christ!

Stop all negative self-talk.

Know that if God loves you and if you love  you - what does it matter what other people think?

Stop measuring  your God-given talents and abilities with others.  Someone will always be better or worse at something than you are. 

Pray in the Spirit.

Pray.

Worship God.

Read the Word.

Live in the Word.

Hang around positive people.

Keep the ultimate goal in mind.

Realize, that at the end of the day, your reward is in heaven.

Stay strong, my friends. 

No comments: