Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Can I work my way to heaven?

This evening:  Romans 4:1-8.

Can I work my way to heaven?

In a recent study by leadership journal suggests that of those who call themselves Christians there are five kinds.

There are active Christians (19%).

There are professing Christians (20%)

There are liturgical Christians (16%).

There are private Christians (24%).

There are cultural Christians (21%).

Of these, only active and professing Christians said, "accepting Christ as Savior and Lord" is the key to being a Christian.  That is, more than 60% do not believe that faith in Christ is essential to salvation.

According to a Barna study last year, more than half of all adults (53%) believe that if a person is generally good, or does enough good things for others during his life, he will earn a place in heaven.

This misunderstanding of saving grace is one of the major reasons why Paul writes to the church in Rome.

We will see this evening that not even Abraham or David (Romans 4:1-8) were saved by their works.  Their good works. 

That is good news.

Let me tell you why.

We live in such a performance based culture, don't we.  Our self worth and value is many times determined by what we have done.  Our production.  Our profit.  Our performance.

The more we do and the more successful we are, the more value we have (according to our society). 

Some say, "I'm good because I closed a deal."  "I'm significant because I got straight A's".  "I'm okay because I got a big raise at work." 

I used to have a t-shirt that said, "you are only as good as your last game) - and the true nature of what I do is that I am only as "good" as my last sermon.

The challenge with that kind of thinking is that God isn't impressed by our outward performance.  God doesn't look on the outside; he looks on the heart.

Nothing is hidden from him.

We can't fool God by our performance.  He judges our motives, not just our actions. 

That's why, my relationship with God (and eternal life) is a gift from Him.  I can't "boast" about it.  I can't claim any kind of credit for it.  It only comes from God.

It's only through believing in the life, death and resurrection of God that I experience his presence, power, favor and love. 

Just a thought for a Wednesday.

No comments: