Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Finding your niche and being the best you can be

Last week, when Dr. Bob Rhoden was with us for a leadership retreat, he made a statement that really stuck out to me.

He said (and I paraphrase) that not everyone can be a 8 or a 9 or a 10 in leadership (or in anything they do in life).

He said, "if God created you as a 6, be the best 6 you can be."  "If you are a 7 (in anything in life) be the best 7 you can be."

The key is to find what you can do, your niche, and do it to the best of your ability.

At this stage of life, I know what I can and cannot do.  So, I tell myself, "why not focus in - not on what I can't do - but on what I can do."  And then grow in that area.  And excel in that area, whether it be a job, a hobby or a ministry in the church.

That is not to say I don't try certain things or "fill in the gaps" when there is a need. 

For instance, not all of us have the gift of evangelism, but we can still share our faith.

Not all of us have the gift of service, but we can still do acts of service.

Not all of us have the gift of music, but we can lift our voices in song to God.

However, I encourage you to become comfortable with what you can do - and relax about what you can't do.

Click on this video of a boy who is trying to find his niche in baseball.

 
Many times our failures in one area lead us to excellence in another.
 
I remember leaving the game of baseball as a junior high kid (after being hit by a fastball as a batter) and picking up a round, orange ball and playing basketball for hours on end, playing in high school and college.
 
Here's that I leave you with:  Let your failures (what you can't do) turn into a positive by leading you into successes (or what you can do).
 
Just a thought for a Thursday.

 

No comments: