Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Response to betrayal

You and I will eventually be betrayed in life.

It's inevitable.

The question is not "when" but "what am I going to do when I am betrayed?"

Let's face it - betrayal hurts.  From a mate who's spouse commits adultery, to a co-worker who says or does something to get the promotion over you, betrayal hurts.

We think it will never happen to us.  We think that because we are "good people" that others will see that and hesitate, pause and not follow through on an act or word of betrayal.

Not so.

Here's what I know:  when I am betrayed, I am not going to stop being open and vulnerable.

I am not going to stop being real.  I am not going to stop trusting.

One author writes, "I remember times of betrayal that cut deep into my heart, pain beyond a flesh wound. These are the deepest cuts that never seem to heal, a soul wound like Frodo stabbed by the ring-wraith's sword, an ache that will not heal. I remember times of fear wondering how the money would stretch, how the family would be fed and would we keep the house for another month.

If we live, we will all suffer pain. If we truly live and love as Jesus calls us to, we will suffer deep pain, because our hearts will be open. As Jesus shows, in fact, we are promised trials, rejection, hurts and the like. Jesus never promised a life free of anguish, but he understands--he had enough moments to cry out to the Lord, even to the point of sweating blood. That’s anguish."

I'm thankful Jesus understand my hurt in the midst of betrayal.

I'm thankful that Jesus will never betray me.

I'm thankful that through the Holy Spirit I can receive help and healing.

How about you today?

Yet Christ continued on with his mission and died for us - the ultimate act of vulnerability.

No comments: