Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Guidance and prayer

Christine O'Donnell is the republican candidate for the office of senator of the state of Delaware.  Today on the radio (820 A.M. Chicago), they were poking fun at the fact that she mentioned that "God had told her something...had given her guidance..." or something like that.

I understand the fact that two non-Christians cannot wrap their minds around the fact that as followers of Christ, we believe that we can communicate with God and God communicates.

As it has been stated, "when we talk with God, we call it prayer, when God speaks to us, we call it schizophrenia."

On the radio station, they were joking that God probably has a voice like Ernest Borgnine or Morgan Freeman.  And does God begin speaking to us with a Brooklyn, "Jo"?

Yet, as believers, we know that God does communicate with us.  Either through the Bible, or through other teachers of His Word, or fellow believers or from God himself.  It probably won't be in an audible voice, but there are impressions, leadings of the Lord that he gives us.

I understand the humor behind what they are saying, but in the end, when all is said and done, we all shouldn't talk about things we don't know anything about.

Here's a prayer that I found today, concerning guidance, anxiety and fear from Thomas Merton.

I encourage you to pray this prayer today...as I have:


"My Lord God,

I have no idea where I am going.

I do not see the road ahead of me.

I cannot know for certain where it will end.

Not do I really know myself,

And the fact that I think I am following your will

does not mean that I am actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.

And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.

I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.

And I know that if I do this, you will lead me by the right road,

Though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore, I will trust you always,

Though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.

I will not fear, for you are ever with me,

And you will never leave me alone.

Amen"

And again, I say, "Amen."

No comments: