Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 21, 2010

C.S. Lewis and our view of God

If there is one thing that is consistent about evangelical speakers is that they quote C.S. Lewis.  And rightly so. 

I am in the midst of a series entitled, "What do I do when I believe in God but......".  One of the subjects I won't be able to get to is:  "What do I do when I believe in God but he's not the God I think He is?"

We all have different perceptions of God.  Most of them based upon our tradition, our church background, our parents, our circumstances, even what part of the country or world we live in.

That is why I must continually keep my focus on what the Bible says about God.  It is the absolute, the last Word, the authoritative story of who God is and how he acts and reacts in our lives.

Okay, now on to C.S. Lewis, who wrote this (in his powerful book, "The Problem of Pain":

"What would really satisfy us would be a God who said of anything we happened to like doing, "What does it matter so long as they are contented?"

We want, in fact, not so much a Father in Heaven as a grandfather in heaven—a senile benevolence who, as they say, "liked to see young people enjoying themselves," and whose plan for the universe was simply that it might be truly said at the end of each day, "a good time was had by all."

That is so true.

God is not as much concerned about my happiness as he is concerned about my holiness.

He desires me to walk in holiness, for it is in walking holiness that I can truly connect with Him.

With God, it is not "Miller Time" or "living life with gusto".  It is walking in humility, peace, joy and love, which in and of itself will bring about a life of abundance.

Just a thought for a Thursday.

No comments: