Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Gain through loss

One of the lessons I have been learning lately is a principle that Jesus constantly taught and modeled.  It's as we loss that we win.  It's as we humble ourselves that we are exalted.

That those who want to be strong must learn to be weak, those who want to be first must learn to be last, those who want to lead must learn to serve.

These are paradoxes.

What are some of the actions that show this paradox?


Apologizing

Deferring to others

Avoiding shortcuts

Telling the truth

Offering kindness

Seeking alliances

Volunteering to take the short straw

Choosing the long-term, sacrificing the short

Demonstrating respect to all, not just the obviously strong

Sharing credit and be public in your gratitude.

Risking the appearance of weakness takes strength.

One author writes, "One of the most powerful people I know always gets my coffee when I visit his office. He has a secretary; he could tell her to do it. He could point in the direction of the machine and say, "Help yourself to some coffee, if you like." Instead, he attends to it himself, and he remembers: "A ton of creamer and no sugar, right?"

Paul writes, "For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:9).

Now if I could just do this stuff.......

No comments: