Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

How God feels about you

In relationships, perception is so important.

Let me explain.

The way I perceive how you feel about me has a profound effect on our relationship.

If I think you are angry at me or disgusted with me or indifferent toward me - whether you really are or not - our relationship will probably be tainted, possibly broken.

If I think that you are happy with me and want to get to know me better - whether you really are or not - our relationship will probably be strengthened, possibly becoming friends for life.

That's why it is a good thing to share with one another on a fairly consistent basis that we love and like each other (this is especially true in the marriage relationship).

We all need assurance from time to time (in every relationship that we have) that we are loved and even liked by that person, that boss, that fellow employee, that neighbor, that person in the church.

We all like to be liked.  We all love to be loved.  It's the way that God has wired us.

I can go one week on one compliment - someone saying that they love me or even like me.

It's what encourages us - strengthens us - allow us to go on.

Let's transfer this concept with how we feel about God.

Tragically, many believers have perceptions of how God feels toward them that are not accurate, and these perceptions create unnecessary distance.

Many people project on God the way their parents felt about them or the way they have felt about themselves. In light of these human tendencies, it is so important that we realize today:

God loves us.

God is for us.

Turn to the sidelines and you will see God cheering for you.  Look past the finish line and  you will see God applauding your steps.

Listen for him in the bleachers, shouting your name.

The scriptures even say that God has "your name written on his hand."  (Isaiah 49:16)

I take a lot of encouragement in that thought today.

How about you?

No comments: