Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 12, 2010

friendships

I've been thinking a lot about friendships lately.

One of the ways to draw closer to others around us is by being real. And by "being real" I mean being vulnerable and open about our lives and our walk with God.

Pastor and author John Ortberg writes of the power of no-secret friendships:

"One of the most important moments of my spiritual life was when I sat down with a longtime friend and said, "I don't want to have any secrets anymore."

I told him everything I was most ashamed of. I told him about my jealousies, my cowardice, how I hurt my wife with my anger. I told him about my history with money and my history with sex. I told him about deceit and regrets that keep me up at night. I felt vulnerable because I was afraid that I was going to lose connection with him.

Much to my surprise, he did not even look away.

I will never forget his next words.

"John," he said. "I have never loved you more than I love you right now."

The very truth about me that I thought would drive him away became a bond that drew us closer together. He then went on to speak with me about secrets he had been carrying.

If I keep part of my life secret from you, you may tell me you love me. But inside I think that you would not love me if you knew the whole truth about me. I can only receive love from you to the extent that I am known by you."

So true.....may we all strive to be open and vulnerable with one another.

No comments: