Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 26, 2010

24 hours to live

It can be kind of a morbid question: What would you do if you knew you only had 24 hours to live?

Yet at the same time, it's perhaps not a bad exercise in "remembering what's important" in life.

What would you do if you knew you only had 24 hours to live?

For 11 years, Mary Leonard of Louisville, Kentucky, has dealt with polymyositis, a rare inflammatory tissue disease that invades the muscles. There is no known cause or cure.

Mary's case turned deadly when the disease invaded her heart. In fact, in March of 2010, Mary was told by doctors that she had 24-48 hours to live. But after 20 days in a hospice center, another 51 days in rehab, and a number of days at home, Mary is still alive. She's now reflecting on the changes that take place when you learn your time is short.

"I call myself an average Christian," Mary says. "I don't know exactly why God has done this for me, but I do know that life looks different now."

Mary offers five life lessons she learned through the ordeal:

Know that prayer is powerful.
Mend fences now.
Release the reins of life to God.
Know that God is able—more than able.
Put your focus on what really matters.

I agree with Mary.

I would pray. I would make make sure that my heart is right with God. I would want to spend time with my family.

Kind of puts everything perspective today, huh.

No comments: