Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Finishing strong

Well, we are almost there.

You know, I have a lot of weaknesses in life. But one of my strengths is - that I am a finisher.

When I used to play basketball, I loved the get the ball at the end of the game with the score close.

When I have a project at home, I work until it gets done.

When I drive somewhere on vacation, I want to get there with no delay.

We are almost there as a church. Our new church home awaits!

Mark Batterson writes:

"I discovered the importance of pacing when running my first triathlon. I did all my training for the swim leg of the race in a pool. And my times were fantastic. But the Atlantic Ocean is no pool. I was confident going into the race. And so on the opening swim leg, I sprinted from the beach to the first buoy. I wanted to be at the front of the pack so I didn't have to embarrass everybody by swimming past them. That's just the kind of guy I am.

Well, let's just say that the ocean ate my lunch! Or more accurately, I drank the ocean. It's amazing what a couple gallons of salt water will do to your stomach. Lora said I looked like a dazed boxer when I finally hit the beach. She was being kind. I started so fast that I couldn't catch my breath the rest of the swim. I'm embarrassed to say that I ended up doing the backstroke instead of freestyle for much of the swim leg. And I learned an important lesson: how you start is not nearly as important as how you finish. And pacing is the key."

So true. Let's all finish together - and finish strong.

No comments: