Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

mom and pops day

I have a confession to make. In reading the blog, "stuffChristianslike.com" (you can find it to the right of my blog), I fall into the category of preaching on Mom's Day and Dad's day, exactly as Jonathan Acuff describes:

He writes:

"On Mother’s Day, the sermon most pastors preach is like this:

“Moms are amazing. They are like human unicorns, special, beautiful, smelling of lavender and night jasmine, deserving of our gratitude and our complete affection and pedicures. Mothers, please stand up so that we can shower you with applause and have the ushers give you roses commemorating this moment when we, the body of Christ, were able to bask in your combined loveliness.”

On Father’s Day however, the sermon most pastors preach is like this:

“Dads, what are you doing? Seriously, get your act together! It’s time to be leaders of your households. It’s time to put away jobs that consume you. It’s time to put down your Blackberrys and serve your family with your heart and your soul. Cowboy up already! Your role is critical to the family and it’s time for you to get motivated and active in your family, your community and your world.”

One feels like a Lifetime movie, the other an episode of “Scared Straight,” where high school students are forced to listen to convicts yell at them about their lives.

Dads, am I wrong? Do you need to cry on my shoulder at the “Wild at Heart,” live like William Wallace style sermon you received two days ago? Moms, am I wrong? Like my own mother who told me that there’s no such holiday as “Kid’s day” because everyday is kid’s day, is one sermon not going nearly far enough in our appreciation of you? (And it’s not moms, you are in fact amazing.)"

So true.

Now then, in my defense, sometimes we guys just don't get it unless someone practically bonks us over the head. We can be stubborn. We can be black and white. I hate to admit it, but we can be well, sometimes kind of ignorant of what is really going on in life.

We need someone to speak to us directly (in love).

Besides, far be it from me to speak in a direct manner to a group of women in which I knew my wife (whom I love with all of my heart) was present. I am not a stupid man (at least most of the time).

No comments: