Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

changed by the Holy Spirit

One of the frustrations I have in ministry is fact that I can't change anyone.

I wish I could.

I wish I could draw people closer to the Lord.

I wish I could make them grow up.

I wish I could help people speak creatively and without malice.

I wish I could make people make right decisions in their walk with God.

But I can't.

Only God can.

All I can do is pray, do my best to set an example, and point out principles that lead to a godly walk.

I cannot make someone fall in love with Jesus.

Frances Chan writes,

"It really came home for me, literally, with my own teenage daughter, who, 18 months ago, was not in love with Jesus. I spent nights crying, bawling, praying to the Lord. Here I am known for my ability to communicate, but there was nothing I could do for my own daughter that would make her fall in love with Jesus. Of course I could still guide and lead her, but I was powerless to convict her.

I prayed, "God, either your Spirit comes into her or your Spirit doesn't. It doesn't matter how great a dad I am. I cannot bring her to life."

One day she came into my room and said, "You were right, Dad. The Holy Spirit was not in me. But now he is."

She talked about how near she was to God and how everything had changed. My wife and I were skeptical. We wanted to see evidence of change.

But 18 months later, I can say she really is a new creation. I didn't do that. It was the Holy Spirit."

May we all rely on the Holy Spirit - and give that person(s) to God this day.

No comments: