Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Jealousy

You know, I deal with sin all the time, how about you?

I got hit with one today. Jealousy.

A few moments ago, I was reading about Rick Warren and the Saddleback Church. They needed some land to build a wedding chapel.

A wedding chapel.

They set their sites on some property owned by the Crystal Cathedral. The cost? $20 million dollars.

20 million dollars.

They prayed and left it in God's hand, no wanting to spend $20 million dollars on a piece of property for a wedding chapel.

That's cool. I agree with that.

Somehow, God worked it out to where Mark Green, one of the owner's of Hobby Lobby, found out about their need and bought the property that they were looking at (did I say that it costs $20 million dollars) and is leasing it back to Saddleback Church for $1 dollar a month.

Now I know my first response should be, "Praise God, you've answered Rick Warren's prayer one more time." I realize that I should be thinking, "Go God, way to come through for that great megachurch."

But....I must confess...my first response was jealousy, envy and a even little bit of anger.

"What in the world are you doing, Lord?" "I mean, Father, here we are struggling, working hard, serving with a group of people who are sacrificing in their giving, and you give the "wealthy church" a 20 million dollar piece of property?" Grumble, grumble, grumble. Whine, whine, whine.

And here's the punchline - "it's not fair, God." "We need $6.5 million to pay off our building, and we're doing YOUR work, God, come on."

"What are we, chump change?"

That's a lousy attitude. Oh, I could take you to scriptures that teach us that we are not to "compare ourselves with ourselves"....but the bottom line is...it's a lousy attitude. A sinful attitude.

So....here's my sincere prayer, "Father, forgive me for my sin of jealousy. Forgive me for being envious of what you are doing for my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. I am, Lord, grateful for what you are doing in my life and in the life of our church. I am grateful for the miracles that you have performed for us along the way. I pray continual blessing on Saddleback Church. May you bless them in an even greater way than you have. Amen."

"And Lord, maybe just a few million thrown our way as well?" (Sorry about that...I couldn't resist).

No comments: