Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 17, 2010

A father's patience

Knowing myself as I do, I can tell you that I am not the most patient person in the world (and Debbie can confirm that).

Patience. Long suffering.

I'm thankful that as my Father, God has patience with me - even or should I say especially when I don't deserve it.

As my heavenly Father is patient with me, so God calls us as earthly fathers to have patience with our children.

Paul writes in Ephesians 6:4, "Fathers, do not exasperate your children, instead, bring them up in all the training and instruction of the Lord." "Do not exasperate your children," have patience with them. Don't rile them up by being impatient.

As my children were growing up, I sometimes succeeded at this, and sometimes I didn't. I trust that my kids were and are patient with my impatience.

It's like that story of a young father in a supermarket one day, who was pushing a shopping cart with his little son, who was strapped in the front.

The little boy was fussing, irritable, and crying. The other shoppers gave the pair a wide berth because the child would pull cans off the shelf and throw them out of the cart.

The father seemed to be very calm; as he continued down each aisle, he murmured gently: "Easy now, Donald. Keep calm, Donald. Steady, boy. It's all right, Donald."

A mother who was passing by was greatly impressed by this young father's solicitous attitude. She said, "You certainly know how to talk to an upset child—quietly and gently."

And then bending down to the little boy, she said, "What seems to be the trouble, Donald?"

"Oh no," said the father. "He's Henry. I'm Donald."

Fathers, out there, I encourage you to have patience with your children, whether they be 6 or 16.

A determination to do so is one key.

But the most powerful keys to is rely on the Holy Spirit. Truly, a father can "do all things through Christ who strengthens him." Philippians 4:13

And...when you blow it....ask for forgiveness. Forgiveness brings about healing, forgiveness brings about love, forgiveness brings about respect.

No comments: