Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Growing faith

Having great faith is a learning process. I learn to have faith. It comes through a process of trial and error.

On time Jesus got into a boat (matthew tells us) and his disciples followed him.

All of a sudden a tremendous storm came up and their boat was covered with waves - it was the original perfect storm.

Jesus slept.

Now that's a great thought in and of itself. In the midst of this storm - Jesus slept.

Besides the face of having great faith and knowledge that God was in control - how could he physically sleep through all of that?

His guys came to him and woke him up and said, "Lord, save us! We are dying here!"

But He said to them, "Why are you fearful, o you of little faith?"

that word faith is oligopistos from oligos meaning "small" and pistis, meaning faith, describing a faith that lacks confidence or trust too little.

But another way to term it is "underdeveloped faith," as opposed to outright unbelief or distrust.

In other words, perhaps the disciples were not in a state of sinful disbelief, but their faith had not yet developed to the point where they could viably handle the situation.

My prayer today is - God increase our faith!

Help us to learn to trust in you!

1 comment:

Jon said...

I think you're right about the disciples...even though they had seen Jesus do many miracles, they still did not understand His power and love. I think at times we are the same way...we don't give things to God because we can handle them--until they get catastrophic and then we scream for help! It seems like we don't trust that Jesus will handle all of our problems, only the monstrous ones. But He says that we should turn all of our cares and worries over to Him...ALL of them!

I'm often asked why I don't worry about things...that's not exactly a correct statement, BTW, because I do worry at times just like everyone else. But mainly, I like to give all my troubles to God because I have learned (the hard way) that I control nothing in my life! No matter how much I try, I only fail...it's when I rest easy in the power and strength of God that things fall into place.

Trust in the Lord...He will never leave you or forsake you...that's His promise to you. And the promise of God is absolute...it will be kept!

Love God for He surely loves you. Love People for they (and you) surely need it. Love Yourself but not as much as the other two areas. Die to self, live forever!

May God bless and keep you

Jon