Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

God's love

Paul prays a wonderful prayer in Ephesians 3, part of which speaks of God's love. He prays, "....so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge..." (Ephesians 3:16-19)

God's love is something that we can't completely understand because it is eternal, supernatural and unconditional.

God's love reaches down into every part and parcel of who we are.

It is wide - it covers the breadth of our own experience, and it reaches out to the whole world.

It is long - it continues the length of our lives.

It is high - it rises to the heights of our celebration and elation.

It is deep - it reaches to the depths of discouragement, despair and even death.

If you ever feel shut out, isolated, or in despair, remember that God's love is always there.

God will never love you any more or any less than He does right now. He is love. His love is based on his character not whether or not I am lovable.

Author Mike Yaconelli says:

I travel a lot, and I came to San Francisco one night and missed my connection back home. I was angry and upset, and I called my son on the phone. I wanted him to encourage me. I said, "Man, I'm stuck in the airport; it's been a horrible day. I've been traveling too much."

My son said, "You know, Dad, if you didn't travel so much, you wouldn't have things like this happen." Well, I didn't appreciate that. I was ticked off. I said, let me talk to your son [my two-year-old grandson]. Well, I forgot that when you're two you can't talk, and when you're 60 you can't hear.

This is not a good combination. He's mumbling on the phone. I'm hoping that this is going to make me feel better. It's making me feel worse. Finally, I've had it. I hear the phone drop onto the floor. Now, I hear the kids playing. I'm stuck in the airport. I have this miserable experience. I'm furious and angry, when all of a sudden I hear crystal clear over the phone, "I love you, Grampa."

You know what? All my anxiety, everything went out the window.

There are people who are so busy they're at their wits' end. If they'd only stop for a minute, they could hear the God of the universe whisper to them, "I love you."

Why not do that today? Stop and hear the voice of God, "I love you."

Father, may we all experience you love today. Thanks for your unconditional love.

No comments: