Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Sabbath

We are in the throes of probing into the idea as to whether or not to start our Sunday morning worship time at 9:30, 10:00 or 10:30 A.M.

I'm open to any "starting time," but there is one thing that really bothers me as a spiritual leader.

I would not want to start earlier so that "I can get on with my day."

When I hear that, it leaves a taste in my mouth (to use a very graphic illustration), as when you accidently "throw up in your mouth." It leaves a bitter taste.

Jesus said, "The sabbath is not made for man, but man is made for the Sabbath."

Sunday is not first and primarily a time to kick back and focus in on leisure and hobby activities. It is a time to focus in on God.

Coming on a Sunday morning to connect with God and connect with others is not something I do so that "I can get on with my day," it IS my day. It's the reason for the day.

I'm not opposed to other activities on Sunday. Thankfully, the kingdom is way beyond not allowing swimming, golf or working in the yard on Sunday.

But let's not go the the other extreme of thinking that attending a Sunday morning service is optional.

"The Sabbath is not made for us, we are made for the Sabbath."

No comments: