Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Turning 50

I turn 50 in a few weeks. Guess what. I'm thinking about going sky diving. My oldest daughter reminded me of that a few weeks ago (I made that as one of my goals a few years ago).

I guess it's cheaper than a sports car.

Anybody out there like to go with me? Any takers on joining me in my quest to get through my 50th birthday? I plan on going in August.

We went to Missouri last week and visited with relatives.

For me it was a trip down memory lane.

One of the highlights was a family gathering where Cindy Sites (Debbie's sister-in-law) played the piano and we sat around signing the old hymns and songs of the church with my grandparents who are 93.

While grandpa can't really hear and can barely walk, it was heartwarming to see him raise his white hanky and wave it as we sang the old hymn, "looking for a city."

That will forever be in my memory bank.

Also...I had the opportunity to read a file full of letters that I wrote my mom and dad during my college years. My parents had kept them and I didn't know it!

It was interesting to read them.

The one consistent thread throughout all of the letters that I wrote was a plea for money!

Memories can be helpful and memories can be hurtful. I'm thankful that I can experince a week of wonderful, warm memories from my past that help me realize what I wonderful life I have lived so far. It hasn't been without pain and heartache, but I'm thankful for all the good times!

4 comments:

Jinbon H Wrong aka Sloop John B said...

Who do you think you are, George Bush? Sky diving is for mental patients, I read somewhere.

Jon said...

Go for it George. Wish I could go with you but my doctor, my wife, and my kids would all kill me...as would my feet, ankles, and knees from the landing. Remnants of my service to this great country of ours...and there are many great memories there for the telling and/or reliving. Memories are precious and allow us to 'catalogue" our lives. Have you ever noticed that the further removed you are in time from an event, the harder it is to remember what was so bad about it? I can remember the good times very easily, the bad times are very faded if I can remember them at all. I do know some people who only like to remember the bad times or what was wrong with an event but I try to limit my time in those situations as those folks are "toxic" and do not respond to my gentle admonishments to focus on the good. Anyway, have a great jump!

And remember (I got a t-shirt for my mom that said this when she turned 50), 50 is not old...if you're a tree!

God bless

Jon

Anonymous said...

Sounds like genuine fun to me; risk factor should be reasonably low, thrill factor should be fairly high. My knees tell me I better just be part of the support crew for this one though. But let me know when you are ready for some white water rafting!
God bless you and your 50 years with us and may He bless you (and therefor us) with many more. In the words of the great Billy Crystal "You look Mavalous!"

-Alex

Teresa O. said...

Happy 50th Birthday, George. I hope you get lots of takers.

As we get older, the more and more I realize the importance of memories. The years go by and when I think of pleasant times in my childhood, it is always vacations and fun times with family and friends. I have always told my children when they leave our home they will take (I hope) two things, the Lord and the Biblical values they have been raised to obey and their memories. The size of my house, car, and our mementoes are material keepsakes that are meaningless. My kids don’t care nor do they want our time to be focused on these things that last but a moment. As long as we live on this earth the Lord and our memories will go with us everywhere we go. As I get older and my children are growing way too fast, making lasting memories is our focus, second to teaching them to be obedient to the Lord Jesus their entire lives. The more time and money we use spending time with them and taking vacations, no matter how small or grandiose a trip, it is these memories that my children and Rick and I will have forever. Whether it’s with family or friends, good times, fun times, lead to cherished memories that are the best gifts we can give to one another (outside of Christ).