Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Roots

Strong roots are necessary for a healthy, vibrant tree. It's the same in my walk with God.

Strong roots stabilize growth.
Strong roots support against the prevailing winds of trials, problems and ungodly persuasion.
Strong roots keep us straight.
Strong roots keep us standing.

Jesus one time talked about a plant that withered in Mark chapter 4. It had a root problem so it couldn't handle the heat of the sun.

Paul prays in Ephesians 3:17 (for the followers of Christ in Ephesus) that they be "rooted and grounded."

And he later urged Colossian Christians to be "firmly rooted....Built up and established." in their faith." Colossians 2:7

We need strong spiritual roots in our lives. Without them we lean and sometimes snap.

But REMEMBER THIS: Strong roots take time. There is no instant route to roots.

We want the big thrill of an experience with God at the altar (and those times can be necessary for our walk with God - don't misunderstand me), when in reality having deep roots is a lot of hard work.

It's not a high-profile process.

As one author wrote, "nobody spends much time digging around a tree trunk, admiring: "What neat roots you have."

The stronger and deeper the roots, the less visible they are. The less noticed.

How deep are your roots today?

2 comments:

Jon said...

I thank God for placing me in a devoutly Christian family where my roots in Christ could begin to grow. I thank God that He never left me even though I wandered away and He continually reminded me of His way and His plan for me. I thank God that He brought me to such a wonderful church family that helps me to strengthen my root system through Biblical teaching and earnest prayer. And, most of all, I thank God for placing Jesus Christ in my life as the cornerstone (oops, change analogy)...as the primary root on my root system. Some of you gardeners may know that every tree has a primary root...the root that all others answer to when you trace them back. Jesus is that root in our faith...by doing as Jesus would do, we honor His devotion to us and continue to grow in our walk with Him.

Take a look at your roots today. It doesn't matter if you are a fourth generation Christian or the very first in your family, your roots can be strengthened today. Ask God to point out the weak roots in your life and provide guidance through the Holy Spirit how you can make them healthy and whole again.

Love God...He surely loves you more than you will ever guess!

Jon

Teresa O. said...

I recently read in a book and to the life of me I don't recall the name or the author. Anyway, the author talked about how most trees are planted forever and are rarely uprooted and transplanted. It happens, but not enough to destroy the tree. Many people are the same way. They move from church to church, ministry to ministry, trying to find something, while never putting their roots deep enough to grow in the Lord and in ministry. If people keep doing this, they evantually "die" as does the tree. A tree, a life in Christ, must be deeply rooted in the things of God and bear fruit. A tree cannot bear fruit when it is continually uprooted.