Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Are we really listening?

One thing that is important in relationships is communication, and clear communication.

I like the story of Old Fred.

Old Fred's hospital bed is surrounded by well-wishers, but it doesn't look good. Suddenly, he motions frantically to the pastor for something to write on. The pastor lovingly hands him a pen and a piece of paper. Fred uses his last bit of energy to scribble a note, and then dies.

The pastor thinks it best not to look at the note right away, so he places it in his jacket pocket. At Fred's funeral, as the pastor is finishing his eulogy, he realizes he's wearing the jacket he was wearing when Fred died.

"Fred handed me a note just before he died," he says. "I haven't looked at it, but knowing Fred, I'm sure there's a word of inspiration in it for us all."

Opening the note, he reads aloud, "Help! You're standing on my oxygen hose!"

Even though I communicate by trade to a group of people every Sunday morning, I am still always surprised by the way something I say is filtered through different "ears" and how what I say can be taken in different ways.

And yet that is natural, it's part of being part of God's created order. We all listen through different colored lens. The lens of our background, upbringing and the experiences we have had in life.

Many times it's not that the communicate is not clear, it's that someone is not listening or really hearing what is being said. They carry too much baggage or are in the throes of a very difficult experience, or sometimes they simply do not care.

God's style of communication didn't seem to leave much margin for generalities. In the Old Testament, he told more than one prophet to speak clearly and to the point (Just read Micah 4:1-7).

He gave Moses precisely ten commandments, not "a dozen or so."

He told Jonah to go directly to Nineveh, not "whichever city seems good too you."

God mentions His interest in every jot and tittle of His Word, not "just the part that's easy to read and fun to do." (What part of the word "don't" don't we understand? And what part of the word "do" don't we understand)

Again, God is speaking, but are we listening, are we really hearing what he has to say? May our ears be open this day to his Word. May we avoid miscommunication with the Father by asking, "Lord, help to understand your direction, your will, you plan for my life. Help me to be open to you and your Word."

2 comments:

Teresa O. said...

The Lord convicted me since last week on one of my phrases from last week stating, "I aways feel." He showed me my ignorance and by saying I always feel that way that it was a vast misinterpretation of what I was thinking. And, that so often what we thought in childhood doesn't apply in most cases today. It's odd that a simple statement God would show me how I erred and how I need to be careful communicating whether written or verbal. It's so easy when writing to just type and type and type and not go back to make sure what you are writing conveys the true meaning. So much can be read or misinterpreted in writing, which is more reason to be more careful. I do need to listen and more intently to what God is saying to either speak to be silent. It's a hard discipline to learn, and it's not easy, but I thank the Lord he loves me enough to correct me.

Jon said...

Every job I've ever had and every job assessment that I've ever been through have all had this same issue: Communication. On a grand scale, what failed during Hurricane Katrina and the levee breaks? Communication. On a personal scale, what breaks during an argument between me and my children? Communication. On the spiritual side, what breaks when we sin? Our willingness to communicate! God has said that He will not allow us to be tempted beyond our means to resist. But yet we still fail because we choose not to communicate with the one being who can keep us from it. I have proposed in my heart many times to seek God when I feel tempted by visual sins...yet I often don't. Then I know that I have failed again...by choice...because I know what the true answer is and where my strength lies.

Anyway, I wandered again for a moment. Communication breakdown! I pray that God allows all of us to hear His Word with open hearts and minds and, especially, ears! And, like Teresa, I want to get rid of some of my stuff. Maybe we should have a garage sale together! Maybe we should have a church wide yard sale in August? Just a thought...I'm NOT (uh-uh) volunteering to lead the charge here!!!

Love God, love people. Give the benefit of the doubt to those who you don't hear clearly!

Jon