Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Last night at our T-group we watched a Nooma video by Rob Bell concerning church and church life. What is boils down to is that we wrestled with reasons for coming to church and fulfilling our spiritual disciplines.

The answer? Our relationship with God is based on love. As a husband giving flowers to his wife out of duty or habit is almost meaningless, so a follower of Christ fulfilling his "duties" with Christ can become as Solomon writes in Ecclesiastes, "meaningless, everything is meaningless." (Now that's a cheery thought for the day).

However, we can't use a relationship with God based on love as an excuse for laziness in the kingdom.

As I have taught, we act our way into a feeling, we don't feel our way into an action. Sometimes I don't feel like coming to church (especially when the Cowboys are on T.V.), sometimes I don't feel like doing my devotions.

But I do. Because I know that the moment I do, God honors that commitment and blesses me with the feelings that leave me connected with Him.

There is such a balance between license and legalism. God forbid that we become bound by rules and regulations, but by the same token, we don't want to become so based on our own feelings and emotions that we only participate in kingdom activities (both personal and corporate) when we have the time or when we "feel like it."

2 comments:

Charlie said...

As I walk this earth, I sense that for many, they have lost the awe of God. They have forgotten that they were bought for an extremely high price. They have forgotten that we are not our own masters anymore, but slaves who serve a loving Master, King of the Universe, Sustainer of all life. Blessed be He.
My wife and I recall our lives when we first got saved and eventually met. We met at church; we attended a Bible study on Monday nights, and any other forums of Christian learning we could find. Nobody ask us, we sought opportunities out.
Maybe it was a different time, but I don’t see a hunger or desire for the Word of God. I have to agree with you, there are time when I just don’t want to, then I remember very quickly who I belong to. We have obligations to fulfill. Christ chose me, he called me to receive His salvation. I chose to accept His offer of a new life. He gave me another chance. By accepting His offer I gave up all my rights. I am to live for Him, by His Word, to fulfill His purpose in this life to reach His world for His Kingdom.
The Lord gives me everything I need to be successful for His Kingdom work. You can’t beat a Boss like that.

Jon said...

And the retirement plan is AWESOME! I think people get caught up in their lives and all the stuff that they need/want to do. Busyness is the enemy of our lives...it's a tool of the Enemy to keep us from maintaining or renewing our relationship with God. Another issue that some of today's people have is that whole "slave" thing...they consider that phraseology to be legalistic and not realistic. That word has such negative connotation in our country that people automatically avoid it.

But we know that the Word is inerrant...when we accept Christ, we become servants to all. Now, you can say servant or you can say slave or you can say employee or you can say serf or you can say indentured servant...the bottom line is when you accept Christ, you also accept that everything that you are/will be is the result of His gift of sacrifice. Everything that you have is a gift from God in your life...not just the good everything that you have but also the bad everything that you have. Trials and temptations exist so that we can demonstrate our love for God. We don't like them, they're painful, we fail, we have to apologize and ask forgiveness...but God is faithful to forgive us and renew us in His power and grace.

When life is hard, praise God. You don't want to go to church and celebrate with the body? Praise God that He blessed you with feelings, wrong as they may be! You don't want to do a time of prayer or Scripture? Praise God that He blessed you with a voice and a mind and an intelligence that makes all of that possible! When you praise God, He will change you...not only physically but mentally. Sing a song of praise and see how much God lifts your spirit while you're doing it! Just as you memorize Scripture to get through the day, memorize song (or Psalms) to use in all possible times. When the storm is too heavy, sing He is a Lighthouse; when you're feeling weak, sing There's Power in the Blood; when temptation is great, sing Just a Closer Walk with Thee; when you need some alone time with God, sing I Come to the Garden Alone. God provides song for you!! He provides a voice to sing it or hands to sign it! Lift up your voice to Him and don't worry about what it sounds like...He commands you to raise a joyful noise to Him! He gave you the voice/hands, let Him hear it!!

God is good, ALL THE TIME. Praise Him for His goodness and grace!

Jon