Total Pageviews

Monday, April 17, 2006

Go or stay?

There are seasons in all of our lives whether where either by circumstances or by inner compulsions we are faced with the decision: go or stay?

It comes to all of us at various times. We live in such a transient society that the question has almost become a non-issue in some parts of our country. I read this week of a church in Southern California that has to grow by 30% each year just to keep its attendance consistent!

Are you thinking about leaving? Are you thinking about staying?

As the persecution of Jews increased during World War II, Austrian psychologist Victor Frankl had the opportunity to go to America and avoid the imminent threat of suffering. His parents were thrilled for him, but he struggled with the question: Should I leave my parents behind in Gestapo-controlled Austria? He asked God to give him a hint from heaven.

One day Victor's father, who knew nothing of his son's inner turmoil, brought him a piece of marble taken from a bombed out synagogue. It contained a small bit of writing that Victor recognized as being from the fourth commandment: Honor your father and mother.

This was the hint he had been looking for; Frankl decided to stayed. The decision was not without a price; he and his family were arrested and imprisoned. His parents died in concentration camps, and he himself spent years in Auschwitz. But he survived, and as a result he was able to provide strength and encouragement to millions through his writings-most notably his book "Man's Search for Meaning."

During this time a German theologian named Dietrich Bonhoeffer had the opportunity to take a teaching post in America. He, too, struggled with the decision. Ultimately he declined the offer, choosing to stay in Germany because he felt an obligation to be with his own countrymen during the time of national crisis. Bonhoeffer was eventually arrested and sent to a concentration camp, where he died shortly before the war ended.

Both men had the opportunity to leave; both made the decision to stay-and both paid a price for their choice.

Sometimes our best decision is to stay. Greener pastures may be calling us elsewhere, but our true calling is right where we are. Staying doesn't often result in glory and honor. In fact, it's more likely to result in suffering and hardship. And, yet, it is in choosing to stay that we most often do the most good.

The Apostle Paul wrote, Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Hebrews 12:1)

The race marked out for us. Many of us struggle with the question: How do I know whether it's time to stay or time to go? How do I know if this is the race "marked out" for me? The answer to that question can often be found in the answer to another: Are you running to avoid pain, or running to gain the prize? If your reason for wanting to go is simply to avoid something unpleasant, that might be a hint that God is calling you to stay.

In the race marked out for you, there will be times when you must take a bold step of faith into the unknown. And there will be times when you must take an even bolder step of faith into the known. And stay....in defiance of the call to comfort...in the face of certain struggle.

Are you struggling with a stay-or-go decision? Ask yourself: which takes me closer to the prize? If you need a hint from heaven, God will provide one; just be ready to take an obedient next step in the race marked out for you.

I do know this: whatever decision you make will be the right decision.

2 comments:

Jon said...

Again, I think you're reading my mail, both at work and at home. Relax, the decision is to stay...for now. I've been encouraged to look elsewhere by colleagues...I've been asked to look elsewhere by friends...both after decisions made by others at work have been perceived as negative to me. But I have peace with those decisions that were made and with those who made them. What other people perceive as a negative situation for me, I took to the Lord and asked Him what I should do. He said, "Abide." Now, I don't particularly like one word answers (because they are often unclear)but that seems awful clear to me. So, I'm attempting to take what others see as a negative and make it a positive for me and mine. In the end, I should have more time to spend doing God's work and in expanding my knowledge of God's Word and in deepening my relationship with the Triune God. That cannot be negative! I should have more time to spend with family and friends--again, that cannot be negative! I should have time to invigorate my push to my Ph.D. in preparation for teaching in about ten years...that's ultimately not a negative! Of course, the hours that I'll have to spend in commuting to State to finish a couple of years of study will be a negative but that can also give me more worship time as I travel up and down the highway.

So, in staying in what many would call a difficult and negative situation, I prosper in following the plan of God for my life. I have learned not to make decisions without His guidance and to follow that guidance without remorse or regret. The blessings that He has given into my life are worth any bit of difficulty or pain. The ultimate prize at the end of the race is eternal life with Him! I'll race for that!!

Run hard, pray harder. God loves you and will answer you. Listen when He does and follow His plan. You'll benefit from His care!

May God bless and keep you

Jon

Charlie said...

Go or stay? Go or stay? We have to ask ourselves the why’s in all of this. Why do I want to go? Why do I want to stay? Some people make a list of each and the one with the most wins. I’ve heard people be religious and say the Lord told me to go. My question is, does the Lord really care if you stay or go? I’ve heard people say, I’ve been called to a different church. This poses a particular question, especially when this individual didn’t do anything in the church they were at.
I think it’s easy to go and hard to stay. The people I’ve seen go are not any better off and not any happier then they were. Some are even not serving God anymore, just because they went. We see this stay and go dilemma played out every day. Spouses go, people go to different jobs, go from one addiction to another, move from one city to another looking for something and finding nothing. We’re not happy where we’re at, so we’re going to go and find our happiness. True happiness and joy comes from God. When all we have to do is learn to be content with what the Lord has given us and to understand that this is our lot in life. Financially, we’re only going to prosper as our souls prosper. For the Christian to keep trying to reach for the golden ring, it will always be elusive. If you believe that you truly are in Christ Jesus and He is your source for everything, then you really don’t have to go anywhere. He will prosper you, where your at. Supplying all your needs according to His rich’s in glory through Christ Jesus. He is the author and the finisher of our faith. How would it make Him look, to allow you to prosper above what your able to handle, (because he knows everything) and your wealthy lifestyle causes you to fall away, as some have and they haven’t realized it yet?
In Judaism, it is believed that every persons standard of living is set by God. By understanding this, you don’t need to struggle with trying to be something that God has determined that your not. I find great peace and comfort in this. I’m right where God wants me economically. We gave up our rights to build our own careers when we accepted Christ as our Savior. We are to be working for the Kingdom. We were bought with a price. We are not our own. Any job we have or career we work at is to pay the bills. It’s a means, not an end. The Kingdom has to come first. That’s why the term living within your means should mean something to Christians. What profits a man to gain the whole world and lose his own soul?
Even if you’re your lot in life is to be average, your obligations are the same as the one who is above average or better. You see we’re all to do our share with what the Lord has given us. We are to be Stewards.
Stay or go? Ask the Lord and leave it in his hands. But be honest with yourself and with others. If you go and the Lord didn’t tell you to, and your chasing the golden ring or the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, your going to be disappointed. Come back and tell the Lord, that your willing to live His way and He will bless whatever you put your hands to.
I’m going to stay. There is a lot of work for me to do for Him right here in Battle Creek.