Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The cruise

Debbie and I had the wonderful opportunity and privilege of going on a cruise last week to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.

We had a great time. My favorite moment was standing at the back of the ship at sunset, watching the sun go down with my arm around Debbie. She is truly a wonderful woman and I love her a lot.

While we were on a day trip to Jamaica (the ship had two stops), we were on our way back to the ship in a taxi. We had to be back on board by 3:00 P.M. The taxi driver picked us up about 2:40. Debbie, especially, was a little bit worried about us making it back it time.

The taxi driver basically said, "No problem," (which is their country's motto). And to make matters more anxious, he stops for gas! Waving at his friends, talking with others.

As we continued on our journey he expressed, just a great philosophy on life. He asked what I do and when I told him, he said, "oh, you leave helping people with their problems to come down here to get away from your problems."

Well, yeah.

And then he went on to say, "you need to come down here for a week and understand our philosophy of life. Don't worry. Stay easy. No problem. Be grateful for what you do have. Don't worry about what you don't have."

Great stuff.

Also...We spent the day in Miami waiting on our flight which left at 8:18 P.M. at night. So, we went to a mall. What I noticed was how international the city is. A couple of salespeople I met in the mall didn't speak any English!

If I was younger I would definitely learn to speak Spanish.

So, don't worry! No problems!

1 comment:

Jon said...

God tells us the same thing: Don't worry, be who you are. The parable that Jesus uses is that of flowers and birds and nature being clothed and fed and cared for. We must trust in God that as He has provided for the least of these, He will also provide for us, His children. Don't worry, be happy. That was a popular Bobby McFerrin song from the 90's. It's a good song, not necessarily a Christian song, but still a good song nonetheless. Some say that God is only in the great things but we KNOW that God is in everything. He's in all the little details and His hand is constantly at work in our lives, making sure that all we need is there when we need it.

George, Debbie was one of your needs and God gave her to you. What a blessed man you are! I'm overjoyed at what a wonderful time you had celebrating your anniversary and enjoyed seeing the relaxed (and very tanned) George on Sunday and Monday.

And you're not too old to learn Spanish. I'll learn with you if you'd like! I still have my old college books, tapes, CD-Roms, etc. in a box so our cost would be negligible. Maybe we could get Pastor Dave to give us some lessons! Or one of those Medrano kids? Anyway, you're not too old to learn...look how much you've learned about the 1st century this year so far...but I do understand the pressing needs on your time. Let me know if you want the materials.

God is good, all the time. ALL THE TIME, GOD IS GOOD!

God bless.

Jon