Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Fiery trials

In First Peter 4:12,13, Peter writes, "Dear friends, don't be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you."

When we experience trials, the spotlight is on all of us. During these times we have an opportunity to be an inspiration to other people in that one trials more than we could in a thousand days of ordinary living. When we have a trials, we can respond in one of four different ways.

We can respond irrationally by exaggerating the difficulty, or by hurting so badly we just quit, or by thinking about running away.

We can respond resentfully. Some people think, If there really was a God in heaven, he wouldn't let my child disappoint like this. He wouldn't let my spouse run away with somebody else.

We can respond creatively. We can use the difficulty to our advantage. I read somewhere that high heels were invented by a woman who got tired of her boyfriend kissing her on the forehead. Don't you love it when people look for creative ways to deal with their discouragement?

We can deal with them faithfully.

One author writes, "Ray and Judy Williamson found out on Saturday afternoon that their son had been killed. AT 7:30 A.M. on Sunday morning, I watched as they staggered into church. It was hard for them to be here, but they said, "We knew this is where God wanted us to be." Their faithfulness in the worst kind of adversity was an inspiration to everybody in that early service."

Fanny Crosby was a blind hymn writer who wrote hymns such as "I am thine, O lord," Blessed Assurance," and "To God be the glory."

When she was old, somebody told her that, if she had been born in that day, an operation could have restored her sight. Instead of being bitter, she said, "I don't know that I would changed anything. Do you know that the first thing I'm ever going to see is the face of Jesus."

I am inspired by that.

2 comments:

Teresa O. said...

We either believe God has our best in mind or we don’t. It’s that simple. Every trial and circumstance I have been in I always move along during these seasons knowing full well that my Lord has it all under control and mostly that He will use what is going on in my life for His good purpose. Without knowing that, I would have no hope. Is it still difficult, absolutely, but it is always manageable when the Lord is carrying me.

I learned this in my teen years when God stamped my heart with his presence of the Holy Spirit and I knew I was no longer alone. He has guided me all these years through every trial. I some times feel I have been given more thorns than roses, roses I would prefer, but I would not change one thing in my life, not one. I have had to voice this to unsaved family members and they do not understand it. But those who hope in the Lord know exactly why I can have that confidence in the Lord. I know Him today because I have had to rely on him with each passing day and year. And with each passing year I am still amazed at how much he speaks and guides me along through difficult times. His mercy and grace are beyond my comprehension. I do not understand this great love, but I do know he loves me. In fact, during these times I can honestly say these are the times my Lord has swept me off my feet and miraculous carried me. I cannot explain these spiritual dynamics other than to say, Jesus is real, His presence is real; He has never left me nor forsaken me (that is such a cliché for so many, but I know those words are real to me). I know He can and one day will use everything I have gone through for His glory. I wish it were today, but I just keep trusting knowing he knows exactly why things happen and how they can be used for good. I do feel I can honestly rejoice that I am participating in his sufferings, because I know the great joy is what is yet to come…being with Christ…forever! “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”.

Charlie said...

The oven was heated ten times hotter than usual, and the Hebrew boys were thrown in. That’s a fiery trial. I love that story in Daniel. All because these Hebrew boys wouldn’t bow down. Then there was Daniel. Who was thrown into a den of lions because he was faithful to prayer time. What does this say about the other Jews who were taken into exile with him? Can we really relate to this type of fiery trial?

What some people consider a fiery trial, is merely being inconvenienced in some way.
Being diagnosed with a deadly disease, can be a fiery trial. Losing your job can be a fiery trial. Losing a spouse or child can be a fiery trial. Everything that happens to us, affects us on a spiritual level. The degree of confidence that we have in God, determines to what extent we will be affected.

You look at the three Hebrew children in Daniel and can see a great degree of confidence. “Our God is able to deliver us out of your hand, and if He doesn’t, we still won’t bow down. Oh, I almost forgot. Who was the fourth person in the fiery furnace?

Daniel didn’t change his prayer schedule, because he had confidence in his God. We have to be encouraged by the people who have served God before us, and we need to pattern our lives after them. Like King David said. “I’ve tasted of the goodness of God”. And to quote Tony the Tiger, “He’s GRRRRRRRRRREAT”!

No matter what happens, God will never leave or forsake us. With every fiery trial, some big, some small, God is purifying His people. Without trials in general, I would wonder if I belong to Him at all. Look at all the trials you’ve been through and look at where you are now. I think you’ll see what I mean.