Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 13, 2006

He is risen!

Peter writes, "In His great mercy, He's given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Christ Jesus from the dead."

In the New Testament, the word "hope" occurs one time BEFORE the resurrection of Jesus - in the book of Matthew. But, get this, it occurs 70 times AFTER the resurrection of Jesus.

Now, it doesn't take a genius to figure out where hope comes from! It comes from the resurrection. And where did the resurrection start with - a cross.

Hope begins in the darkest places of our lives.

What's the symbol of our faith? The cross. A lot of us wear a cross around our necks. It was an instrument of execution in that day. It'd be as if someone came in and saw us wearing a little electric chair around our necks. That would be just a little bit strange, don't you think?

Yet it's a perfect illustration of our faith.

The cross was a dark place and yet God turned it into a resurrection.

If you want an illustration of how God sends problems into the world to bring good into the world, don't look any farther than the cross and the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

He took that evil that was done on the cross and turned it into a resurrection that brings us light - there's the iillustration - the fact that He can bring hope.

The cross tells us that He not only understands our pain but that He can transform our pain.

Can we not be grateful for the cross and for the resurrection this Easter!

1 comment:

Jon said...

I think all Christians have an easy time celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The recent movie, "The Passion of Christ" began to show us the events that led to that resurrection and it was a shock to a lot of people. Was the beating that Jesus took as intense as what Mel Gibson showed? I'd say it was historically accurate if you do any studying of Roman methods of punishment...if anything, I'd say we didn't see enough because of the censorship of Hollywood. At one point, I seem to recall, the board that reviews movies told Mel that he had to back off some of the intensity/gore of the beating or they would give the movie an adult rating. That's intense! When we think about the earthly sacrifice of Jesus, it ends on the cross; it begins with a message from an angel to Mary.

So, when you reflect on the darkness that leads to the Light of the World, start at the beginning of His earthly existence. And when you begin to feel abused or put upon or down trodden or ignored, remember the sacrifice of Jesus and how His pain and suffering led to the greatest gift that has ever existed, or ever will exist. There is Light in our darkness; there is Joy in our sorrow; there is Peace in our war torn world; there is Love in a world of selfishness. It all resides in Jesus Christ, and within you through your salvation through accepting Him. Jesus Christ, God, the Holy Spirit...they reside IN YOU! The Light of the world wants to be reflected in your face today. Recognize the problems in your life as opportunities to shine for God!! Praise Him!

I think I went off the original track of this blog somewhere but I love God...even in my pain and anguish! I love God. I LOVE GOD!

Thank you Lord for your sacrifice, the sacrifice of your entire earthly existence because you came to earth as the Son of Man when you didn't have to. You came and experienced the pain of being born into a cruel world, where the king sought your death and people mocked and tried to humiliate you. Thank you for the price you paid for me on Calvary. I'm not worthy of your sacrifice but I thank you that you believe that I am. I thank you for the strength you give me every day to move in this world for you, to reach and teach people of you and your free gift to them. I thank you for the opportunities you bring me each and every day, in my joy and in my pain, in my love and in my selfishness, in my peace and in my war. I love you and thank you for my life and those you have brought into it. Help me to be the man you want me to be and to do the things you set before me. Your path and plan for my life exceed anything that I can dream up. Let me follow you (and it) in all ways. Amen.

Love God, love people.

Jon