Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The reality of worship

Jesus said in John 4:24, "God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."

We get the "spirit part" of worship - but what is "true worship"?

True worship has been a "hot topic" for the church since I was a little pup in ministry.

(I have the scars on my back from participating in the worship wars).  :) :)

Let me give you some thoughts I read today about what true worship is:

Some think that the goal in worship is to talk about God. 

True worship is when we come into the presence of God - and I leave changed, transformed by the power of that presence.

Some think that the result of worship leaves me (you) feeling pleased (on an emotional high).

True worship leaves God feeling pleased - it is when we are the participators and God is the audience.

Some think that the focus in worship is the people on the platform.

True worship focuses in on God - no matter who is leading in worship.

Some think that the pathway to worship only happens when the music and sermon are good.

True worship happens when we worship in spirit and in truth.  I would suggest that while excellence is important, engaging God - His Spirit with my spirit is the ultimate end game.

Some people think that worship happens in church.

True worship happens (or should be happening) every day of our lives.

Some think that that a passion for worship will come as others participate.

True worship is a willingness to worship whether others do or not.

My desire is to worship God is "spirit and in truth"!

Just some thoughts for a Tuesday.

No comments: