Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Avoiding regrets in raising children

There is not a parent alive that doesn't have regrets in the way they raised their children.
 
No parent is perfect.
 
Each time I hear the song, "The Cat's In The Cradle" I am saddened. 
 
I could have done better (I am just thankful that our kids are doing well).
 
Paul writes in Ephesians 6:4, "Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord."
 
I thought I might give you some tips (principles) on how to raise your children without having regrets.
 
Let them be kids.  Dr. Dobson says that our role is to help them through childhood.  Kids need the freedom to be kids.
 
Protect them from the world - but do not insulate them. 
 
To totally isolate your child from the world is lazy parenting.  We as parents are to take hold of the reins of spiritual leadership in the home - and guide them into spiritual, godly values.
 
However, how do we learn how to make good choices?  By making bad choices.  I would encourage you to give children the ability to make choices as early as possible - while you are there to "pick up the pieces" and encourage them and teach them and share with them a better way.
 
At the same time, put parameters around what your children watch, see, experience and feel.  I don't think that I need to persuade you that four to seven hours a day of television versus thirty seven seconds of conversation with Dad is a no-brainer.
 
Encourage, don't embitter.
 
Dads, especially are to get a handle on this.  Angry fathers are everywhere.  Dads, however your day went, when you come home, don't take your day out (passive aggressively) on your children.  Look at them as fragile tea cups.  In need of your protective care.
 
How do you spell love?  T.I.M.E.  As Lee Iacocca once said, "No one on their deathbed says, 'I wish I had spent more time with my business.'"  Quality time and Quantity time are needed.
 
Pray, pray, pray.  Pray that your children will draw closer to Christ.  You can make no greater contribution to the well-being of your children than to intercede for them in daily prayer.  Pray that God will give you wisdom as a parent.
 
Just some thoughts for a Tuesday.

No comments: