Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Walking in the spirit, not the flesh

This evening, we are studying the wonderful, classic passage of Paul in Romans 7:15-25. 

It is basically an autobiography of Paul’s struggle with sin.  As you read the passage (and I encourage you to read the entire passage today), notice how many times Paul uses the pronoun, “I”.
Paul speaks of wrestling with his carnal nature; his tendency to sin.
Here’s what I know:
The Christian life is not hard; it is impossible – if I am trying to walk in the Spirit on my own.  Using my own will power.
There’s the true story of a Christian who was driving home from work each day and had the temptation to stop at a certain bar, but he knew he’d stay too long and his family would get made over his drinking too much.
So to keep from going in, as soon as he got into his car, he’d pull of his shoes and socks, because you don’t ever go into a bar without shoes and socks on.  Then he’d pull off his tie, and he’d pull of his shirt, and he’d be saying to himself, “Now I can’t go into the bar.”
But as he drove down the Pasadena freeway from Los Angeles, he’d get to about Avenue 64 and he’d be pulling at his socks; and as he kept driving he’d be toeing his way into his does.  On would go his shirt, and when he go to the bar he’d go on.
Why?  Because, as Paul says,  “What I hate I do.”
Here is one of the principles we will look at this evening:
Your Christian life was begun by grace and it must continue by grace.
Every Christian must experience the “second crash.”  The first “crash” came when you saw you were spiritually bankrupt, a sinner with no righteousness to present to god on your own. 
The “second crash” comes when you see you can’t even live the Christian life on your own.  You need God’s help.
Watchman Nee writes, “Living in the Spirit means that I trust the Holy Spirit to do in me what I cannot do myself.”
It is not a case of trying but of trusting; not of struggling but of resting in God.”
If you have a temper, or impure thoughts or a quick tongue or a critical spirit, you can’t change yourself with your own will power, but your must consider yourself dead in Christ to these thing and look to the Holy Spirit to produce in you the needed fruit that you need in your life.
When you are struggling with the flesh - the Holy Spirit will see you through.
The object of temptation is always to get us to do something.
Watchman Nee writes, “During the first three months of the Japanese war in China we lost a great many tanks, and so were unable to deal with the Japanese armor, until the following scheme was devised.  A single shot would be fired at a Japanese tank by one of our snipers in ambush.  After a considerable lapse of time the first shot would be followed by a second; then, after a further silence, by another shot; until the tank driver, eager to locate the source of the disturbance, would pop his head out to look around.  The next shot, carefully aimed, would put an end to him.  As long as he remained under cover he was perfectly safe.”
The whole idea was to get the soldier to come out into the open.
In the same way, Satan’s temptations are not designed primarily to make us do something particularly sinful, but to cause us to act in our own energy; and as soon as we step out from the covering of the Holy Spirit and try to overcome the flesh on our own – the enemy has won. 
That’s why Paul says, “Walk in the spirit and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.”  (Galatians 6:15)
Walk in the Spirit.  Choose to walk in the spirit – and then let the Holy Spirit give you the power to overcome the flesh.
The cross has been give to obtain salvation for us – God’s Holy Spirit has been given to produce salvation in us. 
Would you pray this prayer with me today?
“Lord, I cannot live the Christian life on my own.  Therefore I will take my hands off; from now on I will trust in your to lead me in the ways of righteousness.”

No comments: