Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Focusing on what you do have

This evening we will continue to work our way through Romans 7, which is a self-portrayal of Paul in his struggles with the flesh as a mature Christian.

Tonight:  Romans 7:7-13.

In my studies yesterday and today, I noticed something I have not pay attention to before. 

Paul struggled with coveting.  Being content with what he had.  Wanting what others had.

Another nugget in establishing this is that Paul writes in Philippians 4:12, "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation."

It was something he learned.

It is was something he wrestled with.

Out of all of the 10 commandments, Paul mentioned this one - possibly because it is the only one of the 10 that deals with "just" the attitudes of the heart.  Sin begins in the heart and you and I can covet without anyone knowing it.

We can be discontent while giving off the appearance of being satisfied.

We always want more.  We focus not on what we do have but on what we don't have.

Elias Morgan, the former president of MOPS (Mothers of Pre-schoolers) shares this insight into how a child views the world.  It's called the Toddler's Creed:

If I want it - it's mine.

If I give it to you and change my mind later - it's mine.

If I can take it away from you - it's mine.

If I had it a little while ago - it's mine.

If it's mine - it will never belong to anyone else, no matter what.

If we are building something together all pieces are mine.

If it looks like mine - it's mine.

Mine, mine.  Me, myself and I.

Do you see a theme there?

Here's a great principle to overcome covet:  Focus not on what you don't have but on what you do have.

Appreciate what you've got and be grateful to God.

Open your eyes.

Ecclesiastes 5:19 tells us, "If God gives a man wealthy and property, he should be grateful and enjoy what he has.  It is a gift from God." 

Grateful.  Enjoy.  Gift.  God says I want you to enjoy and be grateful for what you've got.

It's a gift.

You wouldn't have anything if it weren't for God.  It's all a gift from God.

We get into a trap that is called, "When and then thinking."  "When and then" thinking says, "When I get (and you can fill in the blank) ________, then I will be happy.

Here's what I know:  That "fill in the blank" will not ultimately make you happy.  You will be happy for a little while, but it won't last because something else has happened.

You've got to get the newer, bigger, better, more improved model.  Apple makes billions on this one principle.  They want you to look forward and buy the next IPhone.

What are you waiting on to make you happy?

When I get married - then I will be happy.

When I get out of this marriage - then I will be happy.

When I have kids - then I will be happy.

Listen to me:  You are as happy as you want to be.  It is  your choice.  Forget the "When and then thinking."

Happiness is not getting whatever you want.

Happiness is enjoying whatever you have.

God wants you to enjoy what you have.

He commands you to enjoy what you've got.

God enjoys watching you enjoy what He's given you.  I always really like watching my children enjoy what I have given them, how much more God does!

Again, the word of the day:  Focus not on what you don't have, focus in on what you do have.

Just a thought for a Wednesday.

No comments: