Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Worship as Contemplation

For those who are serious about worship, there is a definite link between contemplation and our connection with the Holy Spirit.

We talked last week about mediation which is defined as a daily, quiet time.

Contemplation, the focus on this evening's "Pure Worship," is a more specific form of mediation.

Contemplation is to our prayer life as intimacy is to a marriage.

Debbie and I can just look at each other and know what each other is thinking - with the "non-verbals" - subtle ways of communicating.

Have you ever thought that there are "non-verbal" ways of communicating with God?

Contemplation builds upon mediation.

The word meditate means to "reflect; to moan, to mutter; to ponder; to make a quiet sound such as sighing; to mediate or contemplate something as a worshipper repeats the words."

In the Bible, the word meditate or mediation meant something more than a mental exercise.  In Hebrew thought, to mediate upon the scriptures is to quietly repeat them in a soft, droning sound, while utterly abandoning outside distractions.

In Jewish tradition, there is a specialized type of prayer called "davening," which is when a worshipper recites scripture, praying intense prayers, wile bowing or rocking back and forth.  The intent is to get lost in communion with God.

There is a new movie about the life of Abraham Lincoln coming out this week.  Lincoln himself often spoke of how slowly his mind worked, how even as an adult he read laboriously and out loud.  His law partner and biographer William Herndon claimed that "Lincoln read less and thought more than any man in his sphere in America."

Here is a simple principle:  What the mind repeats, it retains."

Or, as I say, "repetition is the mother of all learning."

David writes in Psalms 1:1-3:  "Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.  But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night." 

What is the result? 

"He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither.  Whatever he does prospers."

Now follow me.  Our strength (emotional, spiritual and physical) comes from time spent in God's presence. 

In reflection.  In contemplation.  Without distractions.  Alone.  Silent. 

To quote, "solitude is the one place where we can gain freedom from the forces of society that will otherwise relentlessly mold us."

Henri Nouwen writes, "In solitude, I get rid of my scaffolding."

Scaffolding is all the stuff we use to keep ourselves propped up, to convince ourselves that we are important or okay.  In solitude we have no friends to talk with, no phone calls or meetings, no T.V, no music or books or newspapers to occupy and distract our minds. 

Our minds (to use a wonderful image from Henri Nouwen) are like a banana tree filled with monkeys constantly jumping up and down.  It is rarely still or quiet.  All these thoughts, like so many chimps, clamor for our attention.  "How can I get ahead?  I someone trying to hurt me?  How will I handle this problem.

You have heard me say repetitively, "apart from Christ we can do nothing."

This type of worship is disciplined and deliberate.  It isn't accomplished on the run, nor by offering prayers from a pulpit or at a hospital bedside.  I know I can't be busy and pray at the same time (in the sense we are talking about here).

I can be active and pray; I can work and pray; but I cannot be busy and pray.

I cannot be inwardly rushed, distracted, or dispersed.  In order to pray I have to be paying more attention to God than to what people are saying to me; to God than to my own ego. 

Usually, for that to happen, there must a be a deliberate withdrawal from the noise of the day, a disciplined detachment from my own self.

We must (as one author put it) ruthlessly eliminate hurry from our lives."

The CEO of Domino's Pizza was quoted as saying, "We don't sell pizza, we sell delivery."  30 minutes or less.  Fast food.  Drive-Thru lanes because going inside takes too long.

But here's what i know:  Hurry is not just a disordered schedule.  Hurry is a disordered heart. 

We desire microwave maturity in Christ.  "Okay, God," we say, " you have 5 minutes to connect with me."

For most Christians, the great danger is not that you will renounce your faith, but that you will settle for a mediocre version of it.  God has so much more for  you!

What's the end game?

Rest.  Peace.  Freedom from anxiety. Freedom from worry.

Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke (my non-legalistic way of serving God the Father) upon you and learn from me (follow my example), for I am gentle (I have strength under control) and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."  Matthew 11:28-30

As I contemplate, I worship and as I worship it brings rest.  It brings an understanding that I do not have to "make things happen" - I simply need to be obedient to Christ and dependant upon His Holy Spirit.

The more I know Christ, the easier it is to obey Him.

So what is the challenge today?

Look at your schedule.  Every schedule must contain a balance of recreation and rest.  We live in a busy world.  We as Christian are susceptible to schedule abuse.

Look at your stress levels.  As Christians, we cannot give what we do not have.  We must be dependant upon God.  Most men and women of God let burdens turn into a need "to make things happen (or taking on in their own flesh the responsibility to do what God desires)."

Look at how you are sleeping.  Something very practical.

Look at your spiritual condition.  We must repent of any sin - especially any attempt to carry out His plan by our own effort.  So many times we can do the right thing in the wrong way.

Look at your spirit.  There are no great men and women; only humble men and women whom God chooses to use greatly.

I challenge you this week to slow down. 

Deliberately choose to drive in the slow lane on the freeway.

Declare a fast from honking.

Eat your food slowly.

At the grocery store, look for the check-out line that is the longest. 

Go though one day without wearing a watch. 

Finally, spend 5 minutes each - practicing the following elements of communion with God (all in one hour):

Praise, waiting, confession, reading the Word, petition, intercession, praying the Word, thanksgiving, singing, meditate, listening and ending with praise.

Can't wait for tonight's "Pure Worship".



No comments: