Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving service

This evening is our Thanksgiving service at 7:00 P.M.

We invite you to come.

Communion will be given.

One of the points of my devotion this evening is the following:

We can give thanks for ongoing hope in the midst of despair.

Even in the midst of, or especially in the midst of a hopeless situation, we can give thanks.

In the fall of 2000, former mega church pastor Ed Dobson was diagnosed with ALS (or Lou Gehrig's disease), a degenerative disease with no known cause or cure.

In 2012, Pastor Dobson shared his ongoing struggle to give thanks while living with an incurable condition.

He writes:

"There are many thanks for which I am not grateful.  I can no longer button the buttons on my shirt.  I can no longer put on a heavy jacket.  I can no longer raise my right hand above my head.  I can no longer write.  I can no longer eat with my right hand.  I eat with my left hand, now even that is becoming a challenge. 

And over time all of these challenges will get worse and worse.  So what in the world do I have to be grateful for?

So much.  Lord, thank you for waking me up this morning.  Lord, thank you that I can turn over in my bed.  Lord, thank you that I can still get out of bed.  Lord, thank you that I can walk to the bathroom.....Lord, thank you that I can still brush my teeth....Lord, thank you that I can still eat breakfast.  Lord, thank you that I can still dress myself.  Lord, thank you that I can still drive my car.  Lord, thank you that I can still walk.  Lord, thank you that I can still talk."

Finally, he writes, "And the list goes on and on.  I have learned in my journey with ALS to focus on what I can do, not on what I can't do.  I have learned to be greatful for the small things in my life and for the many things I can still do."

I am humbled by Pastor Dobson's words.  And grateful.

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: