Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Paradoxical statements

Kent Keith has written a wonderful little book entitled, "Do it anyway."

It is a handbook for finding personal meaning and deep happiness in a crazy world. 

He starts out by saying that "the world is crazy".  I think we can all agree on that.

The world is crazy.

You and I can't control the events and people around us.  We can't control the economy or the crime rate of the weather. 

We can't control when terrorists may strike or wars that may break out.

We can't control whether we will have a job this time tomorrow.

We can work hard, and prepare, and seize opportunities, but there are a lot of things in our external world that we cannot control.

So how are you coping when it seems like the world is out of control?

Here's what I know:

Our (your) personal meaning and deep happiness don't depend on the way the world treats us.  They depend on how we respond to the way the world treats us.

And the way we respond is our choice.  Our decision.

In other words, we can only control the way we respond both with actions and in attitudes.

Let me give you Kent Keith's 10 paradoxical commandments with a comment on each:

1.  People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.  Love them anyway.

Jesus says basically the same thing.  That we are to love and pray for and bless those who want to do us harm.  How can I do that outside of the grace of God and the help of the Holy Spirit?

2.  If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motivesDo good anyway.

Many can't believe that anyone would do anything without expecting something in return.  And so they project their lack of compassion on others.

Can I tell you something?  There are people in the kingdom of God who do good works - with the sole intent of advancing the kingdom of God.

3.  If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.  Succeed anyway.

As you are successful, it will bring out the worst and the best from those around you.

4.  The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.  Do good anyway.

That humbles me.  That gives me perspective.  Our church is not about me.  Our church is not about whether "I am a success or not".  Our church exists to build up the kingdom of God and glorify Jesus.

30 years from now (or less) Stone Church family members will be hard pressed to remember my name.  And here's what I know.  That is the way it should be.  It is all about Jesus. 

5.  Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.  Be honest and frank anyway.

6.  The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.  Think big anyway.

It is hard to soar with the eagles when you are running with Turkeys.

By the very nature of what I do, I am obliged to pause and deal with "nay-sayers".  It drives me nuts, but I have purposed in my heart to dream big anyway.

7.  People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.  Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

8.  What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.  Build anyway.

That would include a godly family.  A godly marriage.  Health.  Success at your job.  A ministry.  We can't control what will happen to those elements of our lives - we can only continue to build.

9.  People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.  Help people anyway.

I never let a person's attitude toward me effect how or when or where I will minister to them.  It doesn't matter whether they like me or not - my calling is to minister to them.

10.  Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.  Give the world the best you have anyway.

Sometimes those whom you have helped the most will turn around and desert you or hurt you.  Give them the best you have anyway.

Good stuff for a Tuesday.

No comments: