Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 01, 2012

Distractions

There is a story involving Yogi Berra, the well-known catcher for the New York Yankees, and Hank Aaron, who at that time was the chief power hitter for the Milwaukee Braves.

The teams were playing in the World Series, and as usual Yogi was keeping up his ceaseless chatter, intended to pep up his teammates on the one hand, and distract the Milwaukee batters on the other. 

As Aaron came to the plate, Yogi tried to distract him by saying, "Hank, you're holding the bat wrong.  You're supposed to hold it so you can read the trademark."

Aaron didn't say anything, but when the next pitch came he it it into the left-field bleachers.  After rounding the bases and tagging up at home plate, Hank Aaron looked at Yogi Berra and said, "I didn't come up here to read."

Love that. 

Hank Aaron didn't allow Yogi Berra to distract him from his true purpose.

If there is one thing that can keep us from a complete and fulfilling walk with Christ - it is distractions.

Yet what is true individually, is true corporately as well.

As a church, we can become distracted.

Distracted by preferences.

Distracted by personal agendas.

Distracted by opinions.

Distracted by rumors, gossip, anger and unforgiveness.

What frees us from these distractions?

Time spent in the presence of the Lord.  As I reconnect with the Holy Spirit -  my true purpose as a Christian comes back into focus.  You show me a Christian whose conversation is filled with thoughts and attitudes toward people - and I will show you a Christian who needs to reconnect to the vine - the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Think of the conversations you've had the past couple of days.  Where they filled with thoughts about people or thoughts about God?

A choice to refocus on Christ.  Hebrews 12:2 tells us, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith."

I choose as to what I will focus on.

It's an old church cliche:  "I must keep my eyes on Jesus"

We used to sing, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus.  Look full in his wonderful face.  And the things of earth will grow strangely dim.  In the light of his glory and grace."

I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say, "I got my eyes off of the Lord and got them on people and people let me down."

I spoke with a woman this week (on the phone) who has given up on Christianity.  She used to go to our church (Stone Church) years ago and feels so wounded by the way she was treated by the people in our church, she no longer serves God.

For an hour, she railed and ranted about the church and Christians in general.

"All Christians are hypocrites," she cried out (and BTW at some point in time we all are hypocritical in attitudes and actions - because we are human beings.  If you think you are exempt from that - you are the hypocrite).

She is bitter and angry against God.  She is bitter and angry against the people, who as she said, "claimed to be Christians."

Here is my word to you today:  Keep your focus on Jesus and His purpose for your life and for our church.

Our church is here to bring people to Christ and to grow in the Lord - together.

Our church is here to love God and love people.  We can work in ministries, pray, memorize scriptures, be faithful in church attendance, but if we don't have "love" as Jesus said, "we are not walking in obedience to Him."

Opinions and preferences come and go - we will let each other down - I will let you down - but I am grateful that Jesus never lets us down.

And - that our purpose remains the same - to be a place where people can belong, grow and serve.

Will  you join me?  Will you join me in getting your focus off of others and our likes and dislikes and what we prefer and don't prefer - and get our focus back on the mission that God has called us all to?

Just a thought for a Thursday.

No comments: