Total Pageviews

Monday, August 27, 2012

Thoughts from the weekend; and personal versus private worship

Thoughts from the weekend (and personal versus private worship):

Helped moved my daughter, Becky, into an apartment in Wicker Park, Illinois.

Wicker Park - great neighborhood.  Full of life and vitality.

I am happy for her.

Excellent, and I mean an excellent life group leader's meeting/retreat this past Friday evening and Saturday morning.

Some thoughts from Heather Zemple (our speaker and the discipleship pastor at National Community Church in Washington D.C.):

Two pathways of discipleship:  I can be a travel agent or a tour guide.

The basic difference between the two is that a tour guide goes on the journey with someone - the person that they are mentoring.

Discipleship includes:  Valuing people.  Looking at people not only as they are but as they can be.  Mentoring people to the third and fourth generation.  Reproducing the character, ways and mission of Jesus in those around us expecting them to multiply the same within others. Includes "being" with the person being discipled, even more than "teaching" them the ways of God.

Now then, some thoughts that I didn't get to from my sermon on worship yesterday.

There is a huge difference between a personal relationship with God and a private relationship with God.

My connection with God must be personal, but it can't be private.

We can't be "secret service Christians," where we sneak into church, sit down (in back), be quiet, grab a little of the service and sneak out.

We can receive Christ anywhere.  Even in a small room.  We just can't keep Him there.  We've got to share.

I have a personal relationship with God, but that personal relationship with God is always expressed in community. 

In other words, I need times of corporate worship.  I need to relate to others in the body of Christ.  I need the body of Christ and the body of Christ needs me.

"Well, George, my relationship with God is very, very private."  No, it can be personal, but it must not be private.  We must tell others about Christ.  We must worship with others in praising Christ.  We must live in community (sometimes messy) while relating to one another in Christ.  We must serve together in Christ.

In short, my relationship with God is not a "me" thing, but a "we thing."

Thanks to David Dewes, Rick Malander and Debbie Smith for facilitating our life group retreat!  Great job!

Also, thanks to our ministry leaders for the ministry tables in the foyer the past few Sundays.  They looked great!

Let's all continue to pray about the fall - it's going to be fun!

No comments: