Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Hearing God's voice

There are all kinds of voices in the world today.

Voices that can lead us to spiritual death - and voices that can lead us to spiritual life.

We need to be careful whom we listen to.

Proverbs 11:9 tells us, "The wisdom of the righteous can save you."

It doesn't say the wisdom of your best friends, your good ol' boy buddies or gals, because they are going to kiss up to you and just tell you what you want to hear.

They are not going to tell  you the truth.

But seek out the wisdom of the righteous - and ultimately God.

I must always safeguard my thoughts, conclusions and choices by testing them with God's Word.

And...I must also be ready to listen to His voice.

However, some things just aren't addressed in the Bible.  There are gray areas of life that are left to us to wrestle with and decide for ourselves.

That's why we must be sensitive to God's (our father) voice.

Jesus said in John 10:27, "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me."

We must listen to the voice of God.

It so true. 

Here's what I know:

The moment a child turns 2 or 3, they have this instinctive need to make a run for it and get free.

I don't know why, but you are with them, turn your head for a few seconds, and, BAM, they are out of sight.

Their big goal is to get away from you, so they run.  Then as soon as they accomplish this goal, they just get all frazzled because they don't know what they have done wrong.

The other day I took my granddaughter, Georgia (who is 3), for a walk (with Debbie). 

She would run on ahead on the sidewalk and get near the street and I would say, "Georgia, don't go out into the street" and she would just laugh and continue walking.

Finally, I had to say, "Georgia, don't run out into the street" (in a sterner tone of voice), and she stopped because she knew the tone of that voice.  She knew her grandpa's voice.

"Stop."

What that means is:  You are in danger.  This is your grandfather.  I love you, trust me."

And she stopped, because there is something about the voice of a father or a grandfather.

So the question becomes, "God is speaking - but are you listening?"

Listen for the Father's voice - and trust in Him.

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: