Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 28, 2011

going when you know that you don't know

I've always been the kind of person who never shys away from seizing a "God moment".  Oh, I have my weaknesses and faults, don't get me wrong, but when it comes time to step out for God - I am ready and willing.

In 1 Samuel 14, we find that Saul and his son Jonathan are faced with the threat of Philistine attack.

The Bible tells us in 1 Samuel 14:2 that Saul was staying on the outskirts of Gibeah under a pomegranate tree.  It was a divine moment in his life - but he failed to "seize" it.

Jonathan, however, says to his young armor-bearer (verse 6), "Com let's go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised fellows.  Perhaps the Lord will act in our behalf.  Nothing can hinder the Lord from saving, whether by many or by few."

"Perhaps the Lord will act in our behalf."

Wow.  Jonathan "seized" his divine moment by knowing that he didn't know.  "I don't know - but perhaps."

"I don't know what is going to happen - but I am going to go ahead and trust God."

Saul couldn't look past the fact that they only had two weapons.  Jonathan looked at is as they had half the weapons in all of Israel.

God's will does not always lead to safety and success. 

Someone once said, "when God closes the door, he always opens a window."  No, sometimes when God closes the door, the window is also shut, and we are called to go head first through the wall - knowing that "nothing (as Jonathan says in verse 6) can hinder the Lord from saving, whether by many or by few."

So - my word to you today is that rather than running away from danger and uncertainty in obeying God - He is calling us to embrace it and go - knowing that we do not know how it will end up.

And that's what I call - exciting - and fulfilling.

No comments: