Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Movies and life

There are many famous movie directors:  Clint Eastwood, James Cameron, Coen brothers, Ron Howard, George Lucas.

They all have one thing in common - if they don't like what they see (while filming), they can yell, "cut" and do the scene all over again.

Wouldn't it be great in life to be able to be a director of everything that happens to you?

Your boss comes in and says, "I need you to do this by tomorrow at 3:00 P.M."  And you yell, "cut", "let's do this again."  Your boss comes in and says, "I need you to do this - and do it whenever you get around to it."

Or, you come home and your spouse says, "you need to do this ________ (and you fill in the blank)," and you yell, "cut", "let's do this again."  You come home and your spouse says, "why don't you just sit down and relax and get to that _______ (and you fill in the blank) whenever you feel like it."

Or, your doctor comes into the room and says, "you have cancer", and you yell, "cut", "let's do this again."  Your doctor comes in the room and says, "everything's fine," you can go home today.

When Sylvester Stallone was making one of his Rocky movies, right after one of his fighting scenes, he said, "You know, boxing is a great sport as long as you can yell, "cut!"

However, life is not that way.  We aren't the directors of life.  There are no "do-overs".  There are no mulligans.  We all have scenes we would like to change.

Here's what I know:  When something happens, it happens and most of the time there is simply not much we can do about it.

But here's what I also know: God can help me no matter what comes my way.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  And while every bone in my body may be screaming out, "cut", I can walk through anything knowing that in the movie of my life, God is in control and God can bring "all things together for good."

And...at the end of the day, I might not have a movie worthy of an Oscar, but as I depend upon Christ, He can put the scenes of my movie together to make something beautiful.

No comments: