Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 03, 2011

snow and the super bowl - pride and prayer

Can I ask you to do something for me? 

If you are praying for snow - please stop.  I think we have had enough!  lol.

One of the great benefits to having that much snow is that it gave me another occasion to interact with my neighbors.  We were all out shoveling our driveways.  I was amazed at the great attitude that everyone had.

Debbie and I stayed in all day (like most people) and had a wonderful time doing a whole lot of nothing.  I love that woman!

Super Bowl Sunday is coming!

The biggest event of the year.

One of the very cool things is that probably the best player in the game is a Christian.

His name? 

Troy Polamalu, a four-time Pro Bowl strong safety for the Pittsburgh Steelers, has worked hard to maintain his Christian character since joining the NFL in 2003.

Before winning his second Super Bowl championship with the Steelers in 2009, Polamalu agreed to an interview for the Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN).

He talked about pride and prayer and being a professional football player.

"Pride is tough," Polamalu said to the interviewer. "You go to high school, and it's pride, courage. It's all these types of words that we use to motivate us. I don't think there's anywhere in the Scriptures … where pride was ever a positive characteristic of anybody. That kind of egotism is a really tough struggle—especially in this business. … It's a big struggle of mine."

Polamalu went on to say that it's not the obvious things that are the hardest to deal with in his life.

"It's … the big things that are the easiest to turn away from. It's … the accumulation of small things [that are hard]. … People know adultery's bad and murder's bad. I'm not going to go out and sleep with the first girl I see. But when your eyes start wandering, [and you become] a little more jealous and envious, and these passions start rising up inside of you—that's when it really becomes dangerous. Because the Devil doesn't work that way. His strategy is always to be very subtle and continue to build on top of that evil seed that he planted."

Polamalu said prayer keeps him rooted. "As your prayer life becomes more and more fine tuned, and your conscience becomes more and more fine tuned, you're able to start plucking away at these things. [You're] like, 'Wow…this is not good.'"

While I will be cheering for the Green Bay Packers (it choosing the lesser of two "evils" being a Dallas Cowboy fan), I will for sure be cheering on Troy Polamalu to have a great game!

Let me reiterate my prediction on the outcome of the game:

Green Bay 31 - Pittsburg 24.

Reminder:  parenting seminar, Friday, February 4, 2011, 7:00 - 9:00 P.M. Main chapel

Reminder:  marriage seminar, Saturday, February 5, 2011, 9:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.  Main chapel

Dr. Don Lichi will also be speaking Sunday morning in both morning services.

I am looking forward to a great day!

No comments: